Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Winston-Salem
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with the processes required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Winston-Salem organization can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers shortcomings in rules or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually given a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is critical that other key activities like operational continuity are executed concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of information technology and data security professionals with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and requires close cooperation with the teams assigned to file restoration and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for changes.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially affected devices from the system. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to guard backups.
- Copy forensically sound images of all suspect devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the version of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey each machine and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible sideways migration from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malware
- Produce extensive incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the surviving parts of your IT environment following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into an operational system. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Winston-Salem
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Winston-Salem business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.