Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Cheyenne
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics investigation without impeding activity related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your Cheyenne organization can use Progent's forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled within the network helps you to evaluate the impact and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or processes that need to be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensics is typically assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other key recovery processes such as operational continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of information technology and security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and requires intimate interaction with the teams focused on data recovery and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics typically require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect without shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the system. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Create forensically valid images of all exposed devices so the file restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the variety of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect each machine and data store on the system as well as cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions in order to determine the time frame of the attack and to identify any possible lateral movement from the first infected machine
- Understand the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Extract URLs from messages and determine if they are malware
- Provide extensive attack documentation to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and on-premises network services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP applications. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your network following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Cheyenne
To learn more information about ways Progent can help your Cheyenne organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.