Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Cheyenne
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without impeding activity required for business continuity and data recovery. Your Cheyenne organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves determining and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and brings to light shortcomings in security policies or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid later break-ins. Forensics is usually assigned a high priority by the insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other key recovery processes like business continuity are performed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and data security professionals with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and requires intimate interaction with the teams focused on file recovery and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all possibly affected devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to protect backups.
- Preserve forensically valid digital images of all exposed devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as feasible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the assault
- Survey each computer and data store on the network including cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any potential lateral movement from the originally infected system
- Understand the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malware
- Produce detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SBEs includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware assault and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Cheyenne
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Cheyenne business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.