Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Lakeland
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a detailed forensics analysis without disrupting the processes related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Lakeland business can utilize Progent's forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves discovering and describing the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers gaps in policies or processes that need to be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is commonly given a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities such as business continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has a large team of information technology and data security professionals with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires intimate interaction with the groups assigned to file cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Disconnect without shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the system. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Copy forensically complete digital images of all suspect devices so the file restoration team can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine every computer and data store on the system as well as cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential sideways movement from the originally compromised machine
- Understand the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises network services across the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in core technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the undamaged parts of your network after a ransomware assault and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Lakeland
To find out more about how Progent can help your Lakeland organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.