Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Lakeland
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without slowing down activity related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Lakeland business can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the cleanup of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and describing the ransomware attack's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault progressed within the network assists you to evaluate the damage and brings to light weaknesses in policies or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other key activities like business resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large roster of information technology and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and calls for close interaction with the teams responsible for file cleanup and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all potentially affected devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect your backups.
- Create forensically complete duplicates of all suspect devices so your data restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the version of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey each machine and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the assault and to identify any possible lateral movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to close security gaps and enforce workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite network services across the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SMEs includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP applications. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged parts of your information system after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Lakeland
To find out more about ways Progent can assist your Lakeland business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.