Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Rockville
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without slowing down activity required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Rockville organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware assault travelled through the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights gaps in rules or processes that need to be corrected to prevent later breaches. Forensics is usually assigned a top priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other important activities like business resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has an extensive team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complicated and requires close interaction with the teams responsible for file recovery and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. forensics can require the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to look for changes.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate without shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard backups.
- Preserve forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so your data recovery group can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the version of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible lateral movement from the originally infected system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Document recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite network services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP software. This broad array of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your network following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance providers like Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Rockville
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Rockville organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.