Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Rockville
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without disrupting the processes required for business continuity and data restoration. Your Rockville organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to combat future ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps you to assess the impact and brings to light gaps in rules or processes that should be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities such as operational continuity are executed concurrently. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and requires intimate cooperation with the teams focused on data restoration and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Create forensically valid duplicates of all exposed devices so the data recovery team can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine each computer and data store on the network including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and sessions in order to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and check to see if they are malware
- Produce extensive attack reporting to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to close security gaps and improve workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services across the United States for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SBEs includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your network following a ransomware assault and rebuild them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Rockville
To find out more information about ways Progent can help your Rockville business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.