Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Lubbock
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without disrupting the processes related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Lubbock organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to combat future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights vulnerabilities in security policies or work habits that should be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities such as operational continuity are performed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and calls for close cooperation with the teams responsible for file recovery and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate without shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Copy forensically sound images of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the strain of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey each machine and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions to establish the time frame of the attack and to identify any possible lateral migration from the originally infected machine
- Identify the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce detailed attack documentation to meet your insurance and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services throughout the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving parts of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance providers like Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Lubbock
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Lubbock business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.