Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Midtown Manhattan
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without slowing down activity related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your Midtown Manhattan business can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to combat future ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights weaknesses in policies or processes that need to be rectified to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically given a top priority by the insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other key recovery processes like business resumption are executed concurrently. Progent has an extensive roster of IT and cybersecurity experts with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and calls for intimate interaction with the groups assigned to data recovery and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the network. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Preserve forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so the data restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each machine and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs from messages and check to see if they are malware
- Provide detailed attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SBEs includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP software. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Midtown Manhattan
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your Midtown Manhattan business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.