Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Midtown Manhattan
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting activity required for business resumption and data recovery. Your Midtown Manhattan organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to counter future ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network helps you to evaluate the impact and uncovers shortcomings in rules or work habits that should be rectified to avoid later breaches. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the insurance provider and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is critical that other key activities like operational resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for file recovery and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Detach without shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the network. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Create forensically complete images of all suspect devices so the data recovery group can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Examine every computer and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the originally compromised machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Provide extensive attack documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SMEs includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your network after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Midtown Manhattan
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Midtown Manhattan organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.