Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Midtown Manhattan
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics investigation without disrupting the processes related to business continuity and data restoration. Your Midtown Manhattan organization can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network helps you to evaluate the damage and brings to light gaps in policies or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is typically assigned a high priority by the insurance provider and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is vital that other key recovery processes such as operational resumption are performed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive team of information technology and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out activities for containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complex and requires close interaction with the teams focused on data recovery and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics can require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring 2FA to secure your backups.
- Create forensically sound digital images of all suspect devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine each machine and storage device on the system including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and user sessions in order to establish the time frame of the assault and to identify any possible sideways movement from the originally compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce detailed attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and enforce processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services across the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and ERP application software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance carriers including Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Midtown Manhattan
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Midtown Manhattan organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.