Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in San Mateo
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with the processes related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your San Mateo organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists you to evaluate the damage and brings to light gaps in security policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid later breaches. Forensics is commonly given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is often required by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities like business continuity are performed in parallel. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and requires intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for data cleanup and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Services associated with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all possibly affected devices from the network. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Capture forensically sound duplicates of all exposed devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Examine every machine and data store on the system including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible lateral movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- List recommendations to close security gaps and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP application software. This breadth of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving parts of your IT environment following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in San Mateo
To learn more about how Progent can help your San Mateo business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.