Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in San Mateo
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down activity related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your San Mateo business can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and describing the ransomware assault's storyline across the network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network helps you to assess the impact and brings to light gaps in security policies or processes that need to be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically given a high priority by the insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities like operational continuity are executed concurrently. Progent has a large roster of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out activities for containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and requires intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for data cleanup and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate without shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the system. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all suspect devices so your file recovery group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey every computer and data store on the network including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study log activity and user sessions to establish the timeline of the attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the originally infected system
- Understand the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up security gaps and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system after a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in San Mateo
To find out more about how Progent can assist your San Mateo business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.