Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Southlake
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding the processes related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Southlake organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists you to evaluate the impact and brings to light vulnerabilities in rules or processes that need to be corrected to prevent future breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often required by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other important recovery processes like business resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large roster of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and calls for intimate interaction with the teams responsible for file restoration and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all possibly affected devices from the network. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring 2FA to secure backups.
- Preserve forensically complete digital images of all exposed devices so the data restoration team can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect every computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions to establish the timeline of the assault and to spot any possible lateral migration from the first compromised system
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommendations to close security gaps and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SMEs includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving parts of your network following a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Southlake
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Southlake organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.