Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Lima
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down the processes required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Lima business can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at discovering and describing the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled through the network helps you to assess the damage and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or work habits that should be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes such as operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent has a large roster of information technology and data security experts with the skills required to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and calls for close interaction with the teams focused on file recovery and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Services involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting off all possibly affected devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring 2FA to secure backups.
- Create forensically complete images of all suspect devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the assault
- Survey each computer and data store on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware assault and to identify any potential sideways movement from the first compromised system
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Produce detailed attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommended improvements to close cybersecurity gaps and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services across the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP applications. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your network after a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance providers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Lima
To find out more about how Progent can assist your Lima business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.