Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Naples
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with activity related to business resumption and data restoration. Your Naples organization can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or processes that should be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually given a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes like operational continuity are executed concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of information technology and cybersecurity experts with the skills needed to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires close interaction with the teams assigned to data cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard backups.
- Copy forensically sound images of all suspect devices so the data recovery team can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the strain of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect every computer and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review log activity and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the originally infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Produce extensive incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up security gaps and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services across the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Naples
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your Naples organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.