Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Fremont
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without slowing down activity related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your Fremont business can use Progent's forensics documentation to combat future ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack progressed through the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights vulnerabilities in rules or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly given a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other important recovery processes like operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains a large roster of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complicated and calls for close interaction with the groups focused on file recovery and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can require the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all possibly affected devices from the system. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect your backups.
- Capture forensically sound images of all suspect devices so the file restoration team can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential sideways migration from the originally infected system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your information system after a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Fremont
To find out more about how Progent can assist your Fremont organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.