Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Boise
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with the processes related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Boise organization can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to counter future ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps you to assess the impact and highlights gaps in security policies or processes that need to be corrected to avoid later break-ins. Forensics is usually given a top priority by the insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes like operational resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of information technology and security experts with the skills required to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires close interaction with the groups focused on file recovery and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Services involved with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to secure backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all exposed devices so your file restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect each machine and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware assault and to identify any potential sideways migration from the first compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommendations to close cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP application software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the surviving parts of your information system after a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with top insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Boise
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Boise organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.