Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Memphis
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without slowing down activity required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Memphis business can use Progent's forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and brings to light weaknesses in rules or work habits that should be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is typically given a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities such as business resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large roster of IT and data security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and calls for close interaction with the teams responsible for file recovery and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Services involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Create forensically complete duplicates of all exposed devices so your data recovery team can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the version of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each machine and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommendations to shore up security vulnerabilities and enforce processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SMEs includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your network after a ransomware assault and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Memphis
To learn more about ways Progent can help your Memphis organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.