Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Rancho Cordova
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down activity required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Rancho Cordova business can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists you to assess the impact and uncovers gaps in security policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually given a top priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is essential that other key activities such as operational resumption are executed concurrently. Progent has a large roster of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform the work of containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and requires close interaction with the groups focused on file cleanup and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate without shutting down all possibly affected devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect your backups.
- Create forensically valid duplicates of all exposed devices so the data recovery team can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey every computer and storage device on the system including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions to establish the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any potential lateral migration from the first infected machine
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce extensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Document recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and ERP software. This scope of expertise allows Progent to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Rancho Cordova
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Rancho Cordova business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.