Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in The Woodlands
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without disrupting the processes related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your The Woodlands organization can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves tracking and describing the ransomware assault's storyline across the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and brings to light vulnerabilities in rules or processes that should be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is critical that other key recovery processes like operational resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and calls for close cooperation with the groups responsible for data cleanup and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard backups.
- Copy forensically complete duplicates of all suspect devices so the data recovery team can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the system including cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and user sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible sideways movement from the originally compromised machine
- Identify the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Provide extensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommended improvements to close cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises network services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP application software. This breadth of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in The Woodlands
To find out more about ways Progent can help your The Woodlands organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.