Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in The Woodlands
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with the processes related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your The Woodlands business can use Progent's forensics report to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and highlights gaps in security policies or processes that need to be rectified to prevent future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually given a high priority by the insurance provider and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other key recovery processes like business continuity are performed concurrently. Progent has a large roster of information technology and data security professionals with the skills needed to perform activities for containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and requires close interaction with the groups focused on data recovery and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Services involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to protect your backups.
- Create forensically valid duplicates of all suspect devices so your data recovery group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey every computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce detailed attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Document recommendations to shore up security gaps and enforce processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and ERP software. This breadth of skills allows Progent to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your network following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into an operational system. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers like Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in The Woodlands
To find out more about how Progent can assist your The Woodlands business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.