Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in The Woodlands
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without impeding activity related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your The Woodlands business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light weaknesses in policies or processes that should be corrected to prevent future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other key activities like operational resumption are executed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive team of IT and data security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and calls for close interaction with the teams responsible for file recovery and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting off all potentially affected devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to protect your backups.
- Copy forensically complete duplicates of all exposed devices so the file recovery team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each machine and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and user sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways movement from the originally compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malware
- Provide comprehensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and onsite network services across the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SMEs includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and ERP application software. This breadth of expertise allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the undamaged parts of your information system following a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into an operational network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in The Woodlands
To learn more about ways Progent can help your The Woodlands business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.