Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in The Woodlands
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with activity required for business resumption and data recovery. Your The Woodlands business can utilize Progent's forensics report to block future ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists you to evaluate the damage and highlights vulnerabilities in security policies or processes that need to be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensics is usually given a top priority by the insurance carrier and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other important activities like operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security professionals with the skills required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires close interaction with the teams focused on file cleanup and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for variations.
Services involved with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting down all possibly affected devices from the system. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to secure backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all exposed devices so your file recovery group can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the assault
- Survey each machine and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study logs and user sessions to establish the time frame of the assault and to identify any possible lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and on-premises network services across the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This breadth of expertise allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged parts of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with top insurance carriers like Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in The Woodlands
To learn more information about ways Progent can help your The Woodlands business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.