Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Columbus
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding the processes related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Columbus organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers weaknesses in rules or work habits that need to be corrected to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is usually assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other key activities such as operational resumption are executed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and data security experts with the knowledge and experience required to perform the work of containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires close cooperation with the teams assigned to data recovery and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all possibly affected devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to protect your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid digital images of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and user sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible lateral movement from the first infected system
- Identify the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malware
- Produce extensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommendations to close security gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and onsite network services throughout the U.S. for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your network after a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with top insurance providers including Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Columbus
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Columbus organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.