Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Jersey City
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a detailed forensics analysis without impeding the processes related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your Jersey City organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to block subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves determining and describing the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and brings to light vulnerabilities in policies or processes that need to be rectified to prevent later breaches. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other key recovery processes such as operational resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of information technology and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and requires intimate interaction with the groups responsible for data restoration and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to protect backups.
- Create forensically valid digital images of all exposed devices so your data restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as possible
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey every machine and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Study logs and user sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible sideways migration from the first compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises network services across the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SMEs includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP application software. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Jersey City
To find out more information about how Progent can help your Jersey City business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.