Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Jersey City
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without slowing down activity related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Jersey City business can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers weaknesses in security policies or processes that need to be corrected to prevent future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities like operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and security professionals with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and calls for intimate interaction with the groups assigned to data restoration and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Services involved with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to secure backups.
- Capture forensically sound duplicates of all suspect devices so your data restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the version of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect every computer and data store on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible sideways migration from the originally infected system
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This broad array of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the undamaged parts of your network after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Jersey City
To learn more about how Progent can help your Jersey City organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.