Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in San Jose
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without impeding activity required for business resumption and data restoration. Your San Jose organization can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's progress throughout the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists you to evaluate the impact and brings to light vulnerabilities in security policies or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid later break-ins. Forensics is usually given a high priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes such as business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security experts with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and calls for intimate interaction with the groups focused on file cleanup and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for changes.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach without shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the network. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically sound digital images of all suspect devices so your data recovery team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey every machine and data store on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and sessions to establish the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential sideways migration from the first infected machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malware
- Produce comprehensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to shore up security gaps and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SMEs includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and ERP software. This scope of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your information system after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in San Jose
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your San Jose business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.