Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Sherman Oaks
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting activity related to business resumption and data restoration. Your Sherman Oaks business can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics report to block future ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware assault's storyline across the network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps you to assess the damage and brings to light vulnerabilities in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid later breaches. Forensics is typically assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities like business continuity are performed in parallel. Progent maintains a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and requires intimate cooperation with the teams responsible for data recovery and, if needed, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities involved with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Copy forensically complete images of all exposed devices so your data restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the version of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each machine and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible sideways migration from the first infected system
- Understand the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SBEs includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the undamaged parts of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Sherman Oaks
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Sherman Oaks business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.