Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Sherman Oaks
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without interfering with the processes required for operational resumption and data recovery. Your Sherman Oaks organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics report to combat future ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network helps you to evaluate the impact and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly given a high priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is vital that other key recovery processes like operational resumption are performed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and data security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires intimate interaction with the teams focused on data recovery and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. forensics can require the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for variations.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially affected devices from the network. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to protect your backups.
- Create forensically complete duplicates of all suspect devices so the file recovery group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study logs and sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any potential sideways migration from the first infected system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and on-premises network services across the U.S. for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SMEs includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them rapidly into an operational system. Progent has worked with top insurance providers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Sherman Oaks
To learn more information about how Progent can assist your Sherman Oaks business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.