Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Sioux Falls
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without impeding activity required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Sioux Falls business can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to counter future ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and brings to light gaps in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is commonly given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities like business resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent has an extensive team of IT and data security experts with the knowledge and experience required to perform the work of containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and calls for intimate interaction with the teams focused on file recovery and, if needed, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the network. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the variety of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine every machine and data store on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to identify any possible lateral movement from the first compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Produce extensive incident documentation to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and ERP applications. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with top insurance providers like Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Sioux Falls
To find out more about ways Progent can help your Sioux Falls organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.