Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Sioux Falls
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without interfering with the processes related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your Sioux Falls business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to block future ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network helps you to assess the damage and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or work habits that should be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other key activities such as operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for intimate interaction with the teams assigned to file restoration and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. forensics can require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all potentially affected devices from the system. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to protect backups.
- Create forensically sound digital images of all suspect devices so the data recovery team can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the version of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and sessions in order to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce detailed attack documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- List recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services across the U.S. for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Sioux Falls
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Sioux Falls business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.