Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in El Paso
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with activity required for business continuity and data recovery. Your El Paso business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to block future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and brings to light vulnerabilities in security policies or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually given a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other important activities like operational continuity are performed concurrently. Progent has a large team of IT and security experts with the skills needed to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and requires close interaction with the groups assigned to data restoration and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for variations.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate without shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the system. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to guard your backups.
- Preserve forensically sound images of all exposed devices so your data restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as possible
- Establish the strain of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to identify any possible lateral movement from the first compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide extensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving parts of your network following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance carriers like Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in El Paso
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your El Paso business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.