Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Irvine
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without interfering with the processes related to business continuity and data restoration. Your Irvine organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves determining and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network helps you to assess the impact and brings to light weaknesses in policies or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other important activities like business resumption are performed concurrently. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and data security professionals with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and requires close interaction with the groups responsible for file recovery and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially affected devices from the system. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Copy forensically sound images of all suspect devices so your file recovery team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Determine the version of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine every computer and storage device on the system including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and user sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the originally compromised system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to close security gaps and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of expertise allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance providers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Irvine
To learn more about how Progent can help your Irvine organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.