Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Irvine
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with the processes related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Irvine business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and highlights weaknesses in rules or work habits that should be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is critical that other important recovery processes such as business resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large roster of information technology and security professionals with the skills required to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and calls for intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for file cleanup and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect without shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to protect backups.
- Capture forensically complete images of all exposed devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as feasible
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine each machine and data store on the system including cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review logs and sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any potential sideways migration from the originally infected system
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide extensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Document recommendations to close cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services across the United States for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Irvine
To learn more information about how Progent can help your Irvine business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.