Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Scottsdale
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without impeding activity required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Scottsdale organization can utilize Progent's forensics report to combat future ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers gaps in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent later breaches. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a high priority by the insurance provider and is often required by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other important recovery processes such as business resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and requires close cooperation with the teams focused on file restoration and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Services associated with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all possibly affected devices from the network. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to guard backups.
- Create forensically valid images of all suspect devices so the data restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and user sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible lateral migration from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract any URLs from messages and determine whether they are malware
- Produce comprehensive incident reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has worked with top insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Scottsdale
To find out more about how Progent can assist your Scottsdale business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.