Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Scottsdale
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without impeding the processes required for operational continuity and data recovery. Your Scottsdale business can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists you to evaluate the impact and uncovers vulnerabilities in policies or work habits that should be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is typically given a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is vital that other important activities like business continuity are executed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive team of information technology and data security experts with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complicated and requires close cooperation with the teams assigned to file restoration and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect without shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring 2FA to secure your backups.
- Preserve forensically complete duplicates of all suspect devices so your data recovery group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each machine and data store on the system including cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to identify any possible lateral migration from the first infected system
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malware
- Produce comprehensive incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises network services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and ERP software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your information system following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them rapidly into an operational network. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Scottsdale
To find out more about how Progent can help your Scottsdale business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.