Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Minneapolis
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without slowing down the processes required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Minneapolis organization can use Progent's forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and highlights gaps in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is usually assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is essential that other important recovery processes such as business resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has a large team of IT and cybersecurity experts with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and requires intimate cooperation with the groups assigned to file recovery and, if necessary, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all potentially affected devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to protect backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all exposed devices so the data restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as possible
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey every machine and storage device on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Review logs and sessions in order to determine the time frame of the assault and to spot any potential lateral movement from the first compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your network following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Minneapolis
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your Minneapolis organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.