Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Lincoln
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without slowing down activity related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your Lincoln organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block future ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers vulnerabilities in security policies or work habits that should be corrected to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a high priority by the insurance carrier and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other key recovery processes like business continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security professionals with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and requires intimate cooperation with the teams assigned to file restoration and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for changes.
Services involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Create forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey every computer and storage device on the system including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions in order to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible lateral movement from the originally infected system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Provide extensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and onsite network services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Lincoln
To find out more about how Progent can help your Lincoln organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.