Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Lincoln
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding the processes required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Lincoln organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at discovering and describing the ransomware assault's storyline across the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps you to evaluate the impact and highlights weaknesses in rules or processes that need to be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually given a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes like business resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and requires intimate interaction with the groups assigned to file cleanup and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to guard backups.
- Preserve forensically valid digital images of all exposed devices so the file recovery team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the variety of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect every machine and data store on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware assault and to identify any possible sideways migration from the first infected system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Extract any URLs from messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Produce detailed attack documentation to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- Document recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and ERP applications. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them rapidly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Lincoln
To learn more information about how Progent can help your Lincoln organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.