Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Lincoln
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with activity related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your Lincoln business can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers gaps in policies or work habits that should be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other key activities such as operational resumption are performed in parallel. Progent has a large roster of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and requires close cooperation with the groups assigned to file cleanup and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics typically involve the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for variations.
Services associated with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the network. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Capture forensically complete duplicates of all suspect devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as soon as feasible
- Determine the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect every computer and data store on the network including cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study logs and user sessions to establish the timeline of the attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the first compromised system
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- List recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite network services across the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SBEs includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance providers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Lincoln
To learn more information about how Progent can assist your Lincoln business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.