Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Lincoln
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down activity required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Lincoln organization can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware assault progressed through the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and uncovers gaps in security policies or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is critical that other key recovery processes like business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent has an extensive roster of IT and security experts with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and requires close cooperation with the teams responsible for file restoration and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Capture forensically complete duplicates of all exposed devices so your file restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions to determine the time frame of the attack and to spot any potential sideways movement from the originally infected system
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Document recommendations to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SMEs includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Lincoln
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Lincoln organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.