Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Lincoln
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding activity required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Lincoln business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps you to evaluate the impact and uncovers gaps in policies or work habits that need to be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes like business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent has an extensive team of IT and data security professionals with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and requires intimate interaction with the teams responsible for data restoration and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. forensics can require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially affected devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Copy forensically valid duplicates of all suspect devices so your file restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the assault
- Examine each machine and storage device on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and user sessions to determine the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible sideways migration from the originally infected system
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide detailed attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to close security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises network services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SMEs includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP application software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your network after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Lincoln
To learn more information about how Progent can help your Lincoln organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.