Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Manchester
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without impeding activity related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Manchester business can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to counter future ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists you to evaluate the damage and uncovers shortcomings in rules or work habits that should be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is typically given a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other important recovery processes like operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has a large roster of IT and data security professionals with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and calls for close cooperation with the groups focused on file restoration and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Detach but avoid shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Create forensically complete images of all suspect devices so your file restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the version of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect every computer and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions to determine the timeline of the assault and to identify any potential sideways migration from the first infected system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malware
- Provide extensive attack documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SBEs includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This broad array of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with leading insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Manchester
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Manchester business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.