Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Alexandria
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without slowing down activity related to business resumption and data restoration. Your Alexandria organization can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's progress across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network helps you to assess the damage and highlights shortcomings in rules or processes that need to be rectified to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other key activities like operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent has a large roster of IT and security professionals with the skills needed to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and calls for close cooperation with the teams responsible for data cleanup and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid duplicates of all exposed devices so the file recovery team can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine each computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study logs and user sessions to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible sideways movement from the first compromised machine
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged parts of your network after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Alexandria
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Alexandria organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.