Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Alexandria
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with the processes related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your Alexandria business can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network helps you to assess the damage and brings to light gaps in security policies or work habits that should be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is vital that other important recovery processes like operational resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to perform the work of containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and requires intimate cooperation with the groups focused on data cleanup and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the network. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to secure backups.
- Preserve forensically complete images of all suspect devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as possible
- Establish the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine every machine and data store on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the assault and to identify any possible lateral movement from the first infected system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce extensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises network services across the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the surviving parts of your network following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance providers including Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Alexandria
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Alexandria organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.