Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Alexandria
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting the processes required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Alexandria business can use Progent's ransomware forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and describing the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or work habits that should be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other key activities such as business resumption are performed concurrently. Progent has a large team of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for intimate interaction with the teams assigned to file recovery and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect changes.
Services involved with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect without shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up 2FA to secure your backups.
- Preserve forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as possible
- Determine the version of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine every machine and data store on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study logs and user sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the first compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malware
- Produce comprehensive incident reporting to meet your insurance and compliance regulations
- List recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and onsite network services across the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Alexandria
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Alexandria organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.