Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Alexandria
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with activity required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Alexandria business can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves determining and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled through the network assists you to assess the impact and uncovers vulnerabilities in security policies or processes that need to be corrected to prevent future break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is vital that other important activities such as operational resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and calls for close interaction with the teams responsible for data restoration and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics can require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities involved with forensics include:
- Detach but avoid shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the system. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Create forensically valid digital images of all exposed devices so the data recovery group can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the version of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey each computer and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware assault and to identify any possible lateral migration from the originally infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce processes that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged parts of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Alexandria
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Alexandria business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.