Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Lynnwood
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without disrupting activity related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Lynnwood business can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics involves discovering and describing the ransomware attack's progress across the network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack progressed through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and highlights shortcomings in security policies or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensic analysis is typically given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is critical that other important activities like operational resumption are performed in parallel. Progent has a large roster of IT and data security experts with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and requires intimate interaction with the teams focused on file cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect variations.
Services involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially affected devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically sound duplicates of all suspect devices so your file recovery group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Survey every computer and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the assault and to identify any potential sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Provide comprehensive attack reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to close security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SMEs includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your network following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Lynnwood
To find out more information about how Progent can help your Lynnwood organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.