Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in São Paulo
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without slowing down the processes related to business continuity and data recovery. Your São Paulo organization can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to combat future ransomware assaults, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists you to evaluate the damage and highlights weaknesses in policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other key recovery processes such as operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains a large roster of IT and security professionals with the skills required to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and requires close cooperation with the groups focused on file cleanup and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate without shutting off all possibly affected devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up 2FA to protect backups.
- Copy forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the file recovery group can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Identify the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey every computer and data store on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the attack and to spot any potential sideways migration from the originally infected system
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Document recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and onsite network services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial management and ERP applications. This scope of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving parts of your network after a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in São Paulo
To learn more about how Progent can help your São Paulo organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.