Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in São Paulo
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down the processes related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your São Paulo business can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to combat future ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at determining and describing the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers gaps in rules or processes that need to be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is vital that other key recovery processes such as business continuity are performed concurrently. Progent has an extensive team of IT and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience required to perform the work of containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and calls for close cooperation with the teams assigned to data cleanup and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the network. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Create forensically valid images of all suspect devices so your file restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions in order to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible lateral movement from the originally compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract any URLs from messages and check to see if they are malware
- Provide detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SBEs includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of expertise allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving parts of your information system following a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with leading insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in São Paulo
To find out more about how Progent can assist your São Paulo business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.