Ransomware Hot Line: 800-462-8800
24x7 Online Access to a Senior Ransomware Consultant
Ransomware requires time to work its way through a network. For this reason, ransomware attacks are commonly unleashed on weekends and at night, when IT personnel are likely to take longer to recognize a breach and are least able to mount a quick and forceful response. The more lateral movement ransomware is able to manage inside a victim's system, the more time it will require to restore core IT services and scrambled files and the more information can be stolen and posted to the dark web.
Progent's Ransomware Hot Line is designed to guide you to complete the urgent first step in responding to a ransomware assault by putting out the fire. Progent's remote ransomware engineers can help businesses in the Manhattan Beach area to identify and isolate infected servers and endpoints and guard clean resources from being penetrated.
If your system has been penetrated by any version of ransomware, don't panic. Get immediate help by calling Progent's Ransomware Hot Line at 800-462-8800.
Progent's Ransomware Response Expertise Available in Manhattan Beach
Current variants of ransomware like Ryuk, Sodinokibi, Netwalker, and Egregor encrypt online files and attack any accessible backups. Data synched to the cloud can also be corrupted. For a poorly defended network, this can make automated recovery nearly impossible and effectively knocks the IT system back to the beginning. Threat Actors (TAs), the hackers responsible for ransomware assault, demand a settlement payment for the decryptors required to unlock encrypted data. Ransomware assaults also try to steal (or "exfiltrate") files and TAs demand an extra payment in exchange for not posting this data on the dark web. Even if you are able to restore your system to an acceptable point in time, exfiltration can pose a major issue depending on the sensitivity of the downloaded information.
The recovery work subsequent to ransomware penetration has several distinct stages, most of which can be performed in parallel if the recovery team has a sufficient number of members with the required skill sets.
- Quarantine: This time-critical first step requires blocking the sideways progress of the attack within your IT system. The longer a ransomware assault is allowed to run unrestricted, the more complex and more costly the restoration process. Because of this, Progent maintains a round-the-clock Ransomware Hotline monitored by veteran ransomware recovery experts. Quarantine processes consist of isolating affected endpoints from the network to minimize the spread, documenting the IT system, and securing entry points.
- System continuity: This covers restoring the network to a basic acceptable degree of functionality with the shortest possible delay. This process is typically the highest priority for the victims of the ransomware assault, who often perceive it to be a life-or-death issue for their business. This activity also demands the widest array of IT abilities that span domain controllers, DHCP servers, physical and virtual servers, PCs, notebooks and mobile phones, databases, office and mission-critical applications, network architecture, and protected remote access. Progent's ransomware recovery team uses state-of-the-art collaboration platforms to organize the complex recovery effort. Progent understands the urgency of working rapidly, continuously, and in unison with a client's managers and network support group to prioritize tasks and to get critical services on line again as quickly as feasible.
- Data restoration: The work required to recover files impacted by a ransomware assault depends on the state of the network, the number of files that are affected, and what recovery methods are needed. Ransomware attacks can take down key databases which, if not gracefully closed, may need to be rebuilt from scratch. This can apply to DNS and Active Directory (AD) databases. Exchange and SQL Server rely on Active Directory, and many financial and other mission-critical applications depend on SQL Server. Some detective work may be needed to locate clean data. For example, non-encrypted OST files may exist on employees' desktop computers and laptops that were not connected at the time of the attack.
- Implementing advanced AV/ransomware protection: Progent's ProSight ASM uses SentinelOne's machine learning technology to offer small and mid-sized businesses the advantages of the same anti-virus technology used by many of the world's biggest corporations such as Netflix, Visa, and NASDAQ. By delivering in-line malware filtering, identification, mitigation, restoration and analysis in a single integrated platform, Progent's ProSight Active Security Monitoring cuts total cost of ownership, simplifies administration, and expedites operational continuity. SentinelOne's next-generation endpoint protection engine built into in Progent's Active Security Monitoring was ranked by Gartner Group as the industry's "most visionary Endpoint Protection Platform (EPP)." Progent is a SentinelOne Partner. Learn about Progent's ProSight Active Security Monitoring (ASM) endpoint protection and ransomware recovery with SentinelOne technology.
- Negotiation with the threat actor (TA): Progent is experienced in negotiating ransom settlements with hackers. This requires close co-operation with the victim and the cyber insurance provider, if any. Services consist of establishing the kind of ransomware used in the attack; identifying and making contact with the hacker persona; verifying decryption capabilities; deciding on a settlement with the victim and the insurance provider; negotiating a settlement amount and schedule with the hacker; confirming compliance with anti-money laundering regulations; overseeing the crypto-currency transfer to the hacker; acquiring, learning, and operating the decryptor utility; troubleshooting decryption problems; building a pristine environment; remapping and connecting drives to reflect exactly their pre-attack state; and recovering computers and software services.
- Forensics: This activity involves learning the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent later breaches. Forensics entails the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect changes. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the cyber insurance provider. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes like operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent has a large team of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and ERP software. This scope of expertise allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your network following a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top insurance providers like Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent for Ransomware System Restoration Expertise in Manhattan Beach
For ransomware recovery expertise in the Manhattan Beach metro area, phone Progent at 800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.