Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Detroit
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with activity required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Detroit organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to block future ransomware assaults, assist in the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at discovering and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network helps you to assess the impact and highlights gaps in rules or work habits that should be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities like business resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and security experts with the skills required to perform the work of containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and calls for intimate cooperation with the groups focused on data recovery and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics can require the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Services associated with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all possibly affected devices from the system. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Capture forensically complete duplicates of all suspect devices so the data recovery group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine every computer and data store on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible lateral movement from the first infected machine
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Produce detailed attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services across the U.S. for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SMEs includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and ERP application software. This scope of skills allows Progent to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Detroit
To find out more about how Progent can assist your Detroit organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.