Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Detroit
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without disrupting activity required for business resumption and data recovery. Your Detroit organization can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to block subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network helps you to evaluate the damage and brings to light vulnerabilities in policies or processes that should be corrected to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is commonly given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes such as operational resumption are executed concurrently. Progent has a large roster of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and calls for intimate cooperation with the groups assigned to file cleanup and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Isolate without shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Copy forensically complete digital images of all suspect devices so the data recovery team can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine every computer and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible sideways migration from the first infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and check to see if they are malware
- Provide detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up security gaps and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite network services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SBEs includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with leading insurance providers like Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Detroit
To learn more information about how Progent can help your Detroit organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.