Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in San Diego
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting the processes required for business continuity and data restoration. Your San Diego organization can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light weaknesses in security policies or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent future breaches. Forensic analysis is typically given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes such as business resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to perform the work of containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and calls for intimate interaction with the groups focused on data restoration and, if needed, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for variations.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the network. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Capture forensically sound digital images of all suspect devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect every computer and storage device on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions in order to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible sideways migration from the originally infected machine
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Document recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and ERP software. This scope of expertise allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your network after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them rapidly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance providers like Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in San Diego
To learn more about how Progent can assist your San Diego organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.