Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in San Antonio
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without disrupting the processes related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your San Antonio organization can use Progent's forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light gaps in security policies or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes like operational continuity are executed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and security professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and requires close interaction with the groups responsible for data cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up 2FA to secure your backups.
- Create forensically valid digital images of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as soon as feasible
- Determine the version of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine every machine and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible sideways movement from the first compromised machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide detailed attack reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to shore up security vulnerabilities and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite network services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SMEs includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your network following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in San Antonio
To find out more about ways Progent can assist your San Antonio business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.