Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in San Antonio
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without slowing down the processes related to business continuity and data restoration. Your San Antonio organization can use Progent's forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves determining and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is commonly given a high priority by the insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other important recovery processes like operational resumption are executed concurrently. Progent has an extensive roster of IT and security experts with the skills needed to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for close interaction with the groups responsible for file cleanup and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Services involved with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the system. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard backups.
- Create forensically valid duplicates of all suspect devices so the file recovery team can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Examine each computer and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible sideways migration from the first infected system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce extensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to close security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises network services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SBEs includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and ERP software. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in San Antonio
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your San Antonio organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.