Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Des Moines
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding activity related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Des Moines business can use Progent's ransomware forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists you to evaluate the impact and brings to light gaps in security policies or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance provider and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is critical that other important recovery processes like business resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of IT and security experts with the skills required to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and calls for close cooperation with the groups focused on data recovery and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the system. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Create forensically valid duplicates of all suspect devices so the file recovery team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine each machine and data store on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions to determine the time frame of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible lateral movement from the originally infected system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs from messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide extensive attack reporting to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This breadth of skills allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged parts of your information system following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Des Moines
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Des Moines business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.