Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Edmonton
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a detailed forensics investigation without impeding the processes required for business resumption and data recovery. Your Edmonton business can use Progent's forensics report to block future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's storyline across the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled within the network helps you to evaluate the damage and uncovers weaknesses in security policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is typically given a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is critical that other key activities like operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and calls for intimate interaction with the groups assigned to data recovery and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid duplicates of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine every computer and storage device on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible lateral movement from the originally compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommended improvements to close cybersecurity gaps and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SBEs includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP software. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving parts of your IT environment after a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into an operational system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Edmonton
To find out more about how Progent can assist your Edmonton business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.