Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 Migration Overview
Exchange 2016 introduces a simplified architecture that allows a single building block, the Mailbox Server, to be used for deployments ranging from small offices to large enterprises. By merging Client Access server (CAS) roles into Mailbox services, Exchange 2016 simplifies deployment, migration, expansion, administration, and fault isolation. The design assumption behind the multi-services Mailbox role is that ultra-high hardware utilization is desirable and, because of the power of modern processors, possible. The resulting simplicity of design makes it more affordable to configure and easier to manage high-availability (HA) deployments that rely on replication and the HA technology built into Exchange 2016 (such as DAG groups) to create messaging environments with no exposure to single-point failure.
Progent's Exchange 2016 consultants, project management consultants, Cisco CCIE-certified network engineers, and information security experts have for more than a decade provided online and onsite expertise to help businesses of all sizes migrate to current versions of Exchange while retaining as much as possible of their existing hardware resources and network infrastructure. Progent's consultants have worked with every release of Exchange from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2016 and can provide as-needed consulting support or comprehensive project management or co-management to help you evaluate the business benefits of adopting Exchange 2016, plan and implement a non-disruptive migration, train your support staff and other stakeholders to manage and utilize the many features of Exchange 2016, and troubleshoot technical problems. If you currently run Exchange Server 2016 and are interested in upgrading to a newer version of on-premises Exchange Server, Progent can provide Exchange Server 2019 migration expertise.
Progent can help you create an Exchange 2016 environment based on physical local or collocated data centers, a cloud-based solution, or a hybrid deployment that combines local and cloud-based resources. Progent allows you to leverage the experience of seasoned Exchange experts in order to minimize the cost, technical risk, management distraction, and duration of your migration to Exchange 2016 while maximizing the business value of your Exchange 2016 ecosystem.
Progent can help you with any and all phases of your Exchange 2016 migration including coexistence, piloting, mailbox migration, decommissioning, and remediation. Migration-related services provided by Progent include:
You can outsource the management of all Exchange migration services to Progent or co-source project management with Progent, your in-house IT team, or additional outside consultants. Progent provides full knowledge transfer services to help you maintain and enhance your Exchange 2016 deployment and Progent offers ongoing availability on an as-needed basis for online or onsite consulting, development, and troubleshooting services.
- Provide outsourced or co-sourced project management services
- Discuss management goals and pain points
- Analyze costs and benefits of alternative deployment architectures
- Design and document a detailed migration plan with diagrams and estimated costs/time for various options
- Inventory existing resources
- Establish server and CAL licensing compliance
- Prepare Windows Server 2012 R2 or later to host Exchange 2016
- Create PowerShell scripts
- Design namespaces and load balancing for multi-datacenter, cloud, or hybrid deployment
- Set up schema, domain, AD forest for Exchange 2016
- Move mailboxes and public folders and fix migration issues
- Create new SSL cert and resolve SSL errors
- Switch namespaces and edit DNS settings
- Configure CAS services, IIS, and firewalls
- Define and implement policies and auditing settings
- Update MAPI over HTTP settings
- For hybrid deployments, set up DirSync between Office 365 and Active Directory
- Integrate mobile devices by provide services such as iPhone and iPad integration, Android phone and tablet consulting, and RIM BlackBerry expertise
- Deploy and test Database Availability Groups (DAGs) on disaster recovery data center
- Design and install Windows Hyper-V implementation
- Integrate Exchange 2016 with Microsoft Lync/Skype for Business and SharePoint
- Design and set up pilot test on premises or at Progent's test lab
- Establish coexistence with Exchange 2010 or Exchange 2013, or upgrade earlier versions of Exchange
- Go live with Exchange 2016
- Verify that Mail flow is working correctly
- Test with Outlook and Outlook on the web (formerly Outlook Web App, or OWA)
- Decommission previous Exchange environment
- Perform client remediation with Office 2010 SP2 or greater or with Office 365
- Provide online or onsite instruction for management and end users
Download Progent's Exchange 2016 Migration Support Datasheet
To download a datasheet describing Progent's support services for Exchange 2016 migration, click:
Progent's Exchange 2016 Migration Support Datasheet. (PDF - 101 KB)
Progent's Online Consulting Experts
For more than a decade, Progent has successfully delivered high-level consulting and troubleshooting support online to clients in every state in the U.S. (see Progent's nationwide customer testimonials). Online support eliminates travel costs, resolves issues more quickly than onsite service calls, and simplifies the logistics of collaborating with large project groups. Progent's team of veteran information technology consultants, developers and technical support experts, including one of the country's largest independent groups of Cisco CCIE-certified network consultants, can provide online help with specific tasks or assist you to carry out large-scale IT projects such as an Exchange 2016 migration. Progent can also dispatch consultants for on premises help in major metropolitan areas across the United States.
Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Technology
For companies of all sizes anywhere in the U.S., Progent's Microsoft-certified experts can provide affordable remote computer help and IT consulting support for the entire array of Microsoft .NET Enterprise Servers. Progent can provide Windows Server 2019 upgrade expertise, Windows Server 2016 hybrid cloud solutions, Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 planning assistance, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 expertise, and Microsoft Windows 2003 Server upgrade help. Progent's migration, installation, optimization, and support capabilities cover network architecture, deployment, and administration help for
project analysis and documentation, local and off-site
IT support and network repair,
Help Desk Outsourcing Support, comprehensive
security expertise, IT
outsourcing, Microsoft Exchange Server hosting, and ProSight Virtual Hosting.
Progent also can deliver a wide range of online PC desktop consulting and support services such as Windows 10 planning and migration support, Microsoft Windows 8.1 configuration and support, Windows 7 maintenance, upgrading to 64-bit computing, Office desktop and Office 365 integration, and automating desktop configuration.
If your company requires immediate online help from a certified consultant, refer to Progent's Urgent Remote Computer Help.
Find out more about Progent's Support for Microsoft Servers.
To get in touch with Progent about consulting expertise for Exchange Server integration or to learn more about Progent's Exchange hosting services, phone 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.