Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Fargo
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without disrupting activity related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Fargo organization can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to combat future ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers gaps in policies or work habits that should be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is typically given a top priority by the insurance provider and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is vital that other key activities like operational continuity are performed in parallel. Progent has a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and calls for close interaction with the groups responsible for data restoration and, if necessary, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to guard backups.
- Create forensically sound images of all exposed devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as possible
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey each computer and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malware
- Produce detailed incident reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your network following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Fargo
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your Fargo business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.