ProSight Data Protection Services - Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup
Hyper-V and VMware Virtual Machine Backup/Recovery
ProSight Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup is a fully managed subscription service intended to offer small and mid-size businesses a reliable and affordable option for protecting Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines. Altaro VM Backup can be deployed on-premises, remote, multi-site, and hybrid cloud network models and also offers budget-friendly cloud backup to a Microsoft Azure Blob storage account.
Top capabilities of ProSight DPS Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup are advanced Augmented Inline Deduplication to reduce backup storage size, Continuous Data Protection (CDP) with backup spacing as low as five minutes for minimizing your vulnerability to data loss, military-grade data encryption, flexible restore alternatives for whole VMs or for specific files, extensive integration with Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) and VMware, and the ability to leverage Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to back up running virtual machines with no downtime.
Progent is an Hornetsecurity Altaro partner and can provide a wide range of services to help your business to plan, implement, validate and debug a backup solution based on Altaro's VM Backup platform. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services (DPS) Altaro VM Backup as a subscription service to provide remote monitoring and management of your data protection ecosystem. Progent's Windows Hyper-V consultants and VMware vCenter and vSphere specialists can assist your organization to design and manage VM deployments that use local or offsite VMs or that run in a hybrid network that combines local and cloud-based assets. Also, Progent offers business continuity preparedness consulting to help you to rebound from catastrophes such as ransomware assaults and natural disasters.
Major Capabilities of Altaro VM Backup
Altaro VM Backup is designed to address the data protection requirements of most small and medium-size businesses and offers ease of operation plus a rich range of capabilities typically found exclusively in enterprise-grade platforms. Altaro VM Backup backs up widely used versions of Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware vCenter and supports most backup hardware:
Windows Server 2022
Windows Server 2019
Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2008 R2
Hyper-V Server (Core)
Azure Stack HCI
V(5.0 and later)
(Free VMware ESXi is not compatible)
USB External Drives
eSata External Drives
USB Flash Drives
Altaro Offsite Server
Altaro VM Backup supports popular versions of Hyper-V and VMware and works with most storage media
Altaro VM Backup offers advanced capabilities in vital facets of backup such as backup replication, fast recovery, and management and reporting.
Altaro VM Backup offers rapid, economical, and secure backup for data protection plus remote replication for reliable restoration. Top backup and replication features include:
Restoration and Disaster Recovery
- Ransomware Defense via Immutable Cloud Storage: Immutable backup for cloud object storage enables tamper-proof data while under the defined policy so that backup data cannot be modified or deleted by anyone including administrators. This adds an extra level of security and restoration ability in the event of a successful ransomware attack.
- Augmented In-Line Deduplication: In-line deduplication sends only changed data to backup storage devices, conserving bandwidth, minimizing backup storage requirements, and improving performance. Altaro's deduplication applies to data on single virtual machines as well as on multiple VMs globally.
- Continuous Data Protection (CDP): Instead of running daily backups, you can reduce backup spacing to as short as five minutes to lower your Recovery Point Objective (RPO).
- Concurrent Backups: You can back up multiple VMs concurrently, allowing you to conduct backup processes during briefer low-activity time windows when more network bandwidth is open and workload performance is less critical.
- Live/Hot Backup: Integration with Volume Shadow Copy Service allows you to back up VMs without going offline.
- Cluster Shared Volumes and VMware vCenter: The ability to back up VMs running in a Hyper-V Failover Cluster (with or without Cluster Shared Volumes) or within a VMware vCenter environment allows large-scale deployments.
- Offsite Replication: To facilitate business recovery, you can set up the Altaro Offsite Server tool on a remote server for keeping a copy of your backups at a remote location.
- Flexible Scheduling and Retention Policies: You can set different backup schedules and retention policies for individual VMs.
Scheduling and retention options for Altaro VM Backup are easy to set up, review and revise
- Workload Consistent Protection: Altaro can use Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and all VSS Writers working inside the target virtual machine when executing a backup. Apps including Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft SQL will sense the backup has taken place and automatically run the appropriate maintenance procedures like truncating VLFs.
- Military-Grade Encryption: Prior to saving data to a backup device, you have the ability to encrypt it with the 256-Bit AES encryption standard.
- Virtual Disk Exclude: You can select which Virtual Disks to include or exclude in your virtual machine backups.
- Grandfather-Father-Son Archiving (GFS): On top of your continuous and scheduled backups, you can implement a special schedule to create and archive a backup version each week, month and year.
- Cloud Backup to Azure: Altaro VM Backup enables backup to an Azure Block Blob storage account, which is the least expensive storage alternative offered on the Microsoft Azure cloud.
Altaro Virtual Machine Backup enables you to protect virtual machines hosted on-site, remotely or in a public cloud
- Cloud Backup to Amazon S3 and Wasabi: Altaro VM Backup supports native backup to Amazon S3 and Wasabi clouds. No extra resources operating in the cloud are required to provide storage for backup.
- Back up to multiple remote locations: For improved resilience, you can create copies of virtual machines on multiple remote sites including multiple public clouds such as Azure and Amazon S3.
Altaro VM Backup VM Backup includes a comprehensive set of tools for granular point-in-time recovery of virtual machines and files that have been backed up periodically and have to be recovered. In a disaster recovery scenario, Altaro VM Backup VM Backup has utilities for quickly recovering a complete site using the latest copy stored offsite.
Management and Reporting
- Restore as Clone: You can restore a VM backup to a new location with a new name, allowing the cloned VM to operate side by side with the original VM. This eliminates the necessity to overwrite live virtual machines.
- Recover to Different Host: You can recover a VM backup to a new or different host. The VM can be restored from the local backup location, or directly from the offsite copy location. (You cannot cross-recover between Hyper-V and VMware.)
- Boot from Backup: You can immediately boot any VM version from the backup location for verification or to create a major improvement in Recovery Time Objective during a disaster recovery event.
- File-Level Restore: You can quickly recover specific files and folders from any VM copy.
- WAN-Optimized Replication: You can make continuous copies of your VMs to an off-premises site and transfer immediately to the backup site in the event that a calamity disables your primary VMs. This can dramatically reduce your Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and put you back online quickly.
- Exchange Item-Level Restore: You can restore specific emails and attachments from within the Exchange Mailbox database.
Altaro VM Backup enables you to restore specific emails from an Exchange Mailbox database
- Recover Various Versions: You can restore from multiple periods rather than being restricted to the last copy.
- Sandbox Restores and Testing: You can schedule or launch manually validation tests to assess the accuracy of your backup. You can validate backup folders without connecting the virtual machine to your Hyper-V or VMware Hypervisor, or you can run a complete confirmation restore to a clone and ensure that the recovered VM is able to boot.
- Backup Health Monitor: Backup storage integrity can be monitored proactively and repaired automatically as a component of the subsequent backup operation.
The web-based Cloud Management Console (CMC) unifies management, monitoring and reporting for Altaro VM Backup environments. The Cloud Management Console offers a centralized portal for tasks such as launching backups, establishing local and off-premises backup locations, configuring encryption keys, and restoring VMs. The CMC also conserves time by allowing you to create specialized templates with backup schedules, retention policies and advanced settings and apply them to various virtual machines across a selection of hosts. In addition, you can utilize the CMC to observe backup procedures as they occur, review historic reports on operations and problems, and configure the CMC to generate email alerts for successful or failed processes and other important information.
Download ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services Datasheet
To see a datasheet describing the major capabilities of ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services, click:
Progent's ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services Datasheet. (PDF - 310 KB)
How Progent Can Assist Your Business to Benefit from Altaro VM Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Windows Server Hyper-V integration experts and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter consultants can assist your organization to plan, deploy and manage a backup/restore solution built on Altaro VM Backup software. Progent's Exchange consultants can help your business to use Altaro VM Backup to protect your Exchange system, and Progent's Microsoft Azure hybrid cloud integration specialists can help you to utilize your Azure Block Blob storage with Altaro to protect your virtual machines.
Progent's disaster recovery planning experts can help your business to use Altaro VM Backup's replication features and offsite backup options to safeguard your critical data and allow you to resume your core operations quickly in the event of a catastrophe.
Regular verification, testing, and enhancement of system restoration are critical and often overlooked components for successful disaster readiness. In the event of a disaster such as a ransomware attack, these restoration drills can make the difference between a temporary loss of availability and a life-or-death crisis to a business. Progent's Altaro VM Backup experts can help you to design a program for regularly validating, testing, and improving your restore procedures in order that you can keep your backup strategy current and contain the impact of a disastrous incident.
Progent's GIAC information assurance (IA) experts can evaluate the cybersecurity posture of your data protection solution and can assist you to deploy the latest tools and follow industry leading practices for operating securely in the current threat landscape.
Contact Progent for Virtualization Expertise and Cloud Solutions
For expert help with virtualization, server management, or cloud solutions, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.