ProSight Data Protection Services - Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup
Hyper-V and VMware Virtual Machine Backup/Recovery
ProSight DPS Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup is a managed service designed to provide small and middle-size businesses a robust and affordable option for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-powered virtual machines. Altaro VM Backup can be deployed local, remote, multi-site, and cloud based network models and also supports cost-effective cloud backup to an Azure Block Blob storage service.
Key features of ProSight Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup are industry-leading Augmented Inline Deduplication to cut backup storage requirements, Continuous Data Protection with backup spacing down to five minutes for minimizing your vulnerability to lost data, military-grade encryption, flexible recovery alternatives for entire virtual machines or for individual files, full integration with Windows Server Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) and VMware, and the ability to leverage Volume Shadow Copy Service to back up live VMs without downtime.
Progent is an Hornetsecurity Altaro partner and can provide a broad assortment of services to help you to plan, deploy, test and debug a backup system based on Altaro's VM Backup platform. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services Altaro VM Backup as a subscription service to provide remote monitoring and management of your backup ecosystem. Progent's certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware integration experts can help your organization to plan and manage VM environments that use on-premises or remote VMs or that work in a hybrid network that incorporates both local and cloud assets. Also, Progent can provide business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning expertise to assist you to get ready for catastrophes such as ransomware attacks and widespread disasters.
Major Features of Altaro VM Backup
Altaro VM Backup is built to fulfill the backup/restore needs of most small and medium-size businesses and provides simplicity of management plus a rich set of features typically available only in enterprise-grade platforms. Altaro backs up popular releases of Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware and works with standard backup hardware:
Windows Server 2022
Windows Server 2019
Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2008 R2
Azure Stack HCI
V(5.0, 5.1, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 6.7 & 7.0)
V(5.0 and later)
(Free VMware ESXi is not compatible)
USB External Drives
eSata External Drives
USB Flash Drives
PC Hard Drives
Altaro supports current releases of Hyper-V and VMware and uses common backup media
Altaro VM Backup comes with advanced features in crucial areas of data protection includung backup replication, fast recovery, and management and reporting.
Backup and Replication
Altaro VM Backup offers fast, economical, and secure backup for data protection plus remote replication for dependable restoration. Major backup and replication features include:
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Ransomware Defense via Immutable Cloud Storage: Immutability for cloud object storage allows tamper-proof data while under the defined policy so that backup data cannot be erased or modified by anyone including administrators. Immutable storage provides an extra level of protection and recoverability in the event of a ransomware breach.
- Global Augmented In-Line Deduplication: Altaro's in-line variable block size deduplication sends only altered data to backup devices, conserving bandwidth, minimizing backup storage demands, and improving throughput. Deduplication works with data on single virtual machines as well as across multiple VMs globally.
- Continuous Data Protection (CDP): Instead of running daily backups, you can reduce backup intervals to as brief as five minutes to lower your RPO.
- Concurrency: You can back up many virtual machines simultaneously, which makes it possible to conduct backup operations within briefer low-activity time windows when more network bandwidth is available and workload performance is less critical.
- Live Backup: Integration with Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service permits you to back up virtual machines without requiring downtime.
- Cluster Shared Volumes and VMware vCenter: The ability to back up virtual machines running in a Windows Hyper-V Failover Cluster (with or without CSV) or in a vCenter system allows larger implementations.
- Remote Replication: To assist with disaster recovery, you can set up the Altaro Offsite Server utility on a remote server for keeping a copy of your backups at a remote location.
- Flexible Scheduling and Retention Policies: You can set different backup schedules and retention policies for individual VMs.
Scheduling and retention options for Altaro are easy to configure, review and edit
- Application Consistent Backups: Altaro can utilize Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service and any VSS Writers running within the target virtual machine when executing a backup. Applications like Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft SQL will be aware the backup has taken place and automatically proceed with the relevant maintenance procedures like truncating virtual log files.
- Military-Class Encryption: Prior to copying data to a backup destination, you have the ability to encrypt it using the 256-Bit AES standard.
- Virtual Disk Exclusion: You can specify which Virtual Disks to include or exclude in your VM backups.
- Grandfather-Father-Son Archiving: On top of your on-going and scheduled backups, you can implement an additional schedule to make and archive a new backup version each week, month and year.
- Cloud Backup to Azure: Altaro VM Backup enables backup to a Microsoft Azure Block Blob account, which is the least expensive storage alternative offered on the Microsoft Azure cloud.
Altaro Virtual Machine Backup enables you to protect VMs hosted on-premises, offsite or in a public cloud
- Cloud Backup to Amazon S3 and Wasabi: Altaro VM Backup VM Backup supports native backup to Amazon S3 and Wasabi clouds. No extra resources operating in the cloud are needed to support storage for backup.
- Back up to multiple off-premises datacenters: For better resilience, you can make copies of virtual machines on multiple off-premises locations including multiple public clouds such as Azure and Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3).
Altaro VM Backup offers a comprehensive toolset for point-in-time recovery of virtual machines and files that have been backed up on schedule and need to be restored. In case of a catastrophic event, Altaro VM Backup has tools for rapidly restoring a complete site using the latest copy protected offsite.
Management and Reporting
- Restore as Clone: You can restore a virtual machine backup to a new destination with a new name, allowing the cloned VM to run side by side with the original VM. This avoids the need to write over live VMs.
- Restore to Different Host: You can recover a virtual machine backup to a new or different Hypervisor. The VM can be restored from the on-prem backup location, or directly from the offsite copy location. (You cannot cross-recover between Windows Hyper-V and VMware.)
- Boot from Backup: You can immediately boot any VM version directly from the backup location for testing purposes or to create a significant reduction in RTO during a disaster recovery scenario.
- File-Level Restore: You can quickly restore individual files and folders from any virtual machine backup.
- WAN-Optimized Replication: You can create ongoing backups of your virtual machines to a different site and switch instantly to the copy site in the event that a calamity takes out your primary VMs. This can dramatically reduce your Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and put your organization back in business fast.
- Exchange Item-Level Recovery: You can recover individual emails and attachments from within the Exchange Mailbox.
Altaro Virtual Machine Backup permits you to restore specific emails from an Exchange Mailbox database
- Recover Various Versions: You can recover from different points in time rather than being limited to the latest backup.
- Sandbox Restores and Verification: This feature lets you schedule or run by hand tests to assess the accuracy of your backup. You can verify backup folders without attaching the virtual machine to your Windows Hyper-V or VMware host, or you can run a full test recovery to a replicant and ensure that the recovered VM is able to boot.
- Backup Health Monitor: Backup storage accuracy can be checked proactively and repaired automatically as part of the next backup process.
The web-based Cloud Management Console centralizes management, monitoring and reporting for Altaro VM Backup environments. The CMC provides a centralized portal for processes like launching backups, establishing local and remote backup sites, configuring encryption keys, and recovering virtual machines. The Cloud Management Console also conserves time by permitting you to build specialized templates with schedules, retention policies and advanced settings and apply them to multiple VMs across a selection of hosts. In addition, you can utilize the CMC to monitor backup procedures in real time, view historic reports on jobs and errors, and configure the Cloud Management Console to generate email notices for completed or failed processes and other important information.
Download ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services Datasheet
To view or download a datasheet describing the key features of ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services, click:
Progent's ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services Datasheet. (PDF - 310 KB)
How Progent Can Help You to Benefit from Altaro VM Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Windows Server Hyper-V planning and deployment experts and VMware-certified vCenter specialists can assist you to design, deploy and maintain a backup/recover system based on Altaro VM Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can assist your business to utilize Altaro VM Backup to protect your Exchange system, and Progent's Azure hybrid cloud integration specialists can assist you to utilize your Azure Block Blob storage service with Altaro software to back up your virtual machines.
Progent's disaster recovery preparedness experts can help your company to use Altaro's replication tools and remote backup capability to protect your critical data and allow you to resume your core services quickly in case of a catastrophe.
Regular verification, testing, and optimization of data restoration are critical and frequently underappreciated requirements for proper disaster preparedness. In the event of a disaster like a ransomware breach, these restoration drills can spell the difference between a temporary period of downtime and an existential threat to a business. Progent's Altaro VM Backup experts can help you to create a program for periodically validating, testing, and optimizing your recovery procedures in order that you can keep your backup strategy current and contain the impact of a catastrophic event.
Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance (IA) specialists can evaluate the security profile of your backup solution and can help your company to deploy the latest technology and adhere to industry best practices for operating securely in the current threat environment.
Contact Progent for Backup and Recovery Expertise
For expert help with backup/restore, ransomware protection, and disaster recovery, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.