Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP 1 is loaded with new and improved features. Progent's Microsoft Gold-certified Server Platform consultants can help you carry out a smooth and affordable migration to Windows Server 2008 R2.
Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP 1 adds major improvements to the initial release of Windows Server 2008 in key areas that include server and desktop virtualization, branch office connectivity, web hosting and application development, availability, fault tolerance, management automation, and integration with Windows 7 clients. Offered only in 64-bit versions, Windows Server 2008 R2 delivers advanced levels of performance, scalability, security and fault tolerance that accelerate return on investment by lowering equipment and operating costs and increasing the output of local, remote, and mobile workers.
Progent is a Microsoft Partner with the top-level Gold certification in the Server Platform competency. Progent's network engineers can provide cost-effective remote consulting, technical support, and training services to help you plan, implement, and manage Windows Server 2008 R2 in order to add substantial business value to your information system.
Major Editions of Windows 2008 Server R2
Microsoft offers Windows Server 2008 R2 in versions for businesses of any size. Important editions of Windows Server 2008 R2 include:
Headline features of Windows Server 2008 R2 include Live Migration for Hyper-V virtual servers, Clustered Shared Volumes (CSV) for high-availability clustering, BranchCache for improving remote office connectivity, DirectAccess for simplifying remote access for Windows 7 clients, Internet Information Services 7.5 for advanced web services, and enhanced PowerShell capability for automating remote server management. For more details about the enhancements included with Windows Server 2008 R2, visit Windows Server 2008 R2 Consulting.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation: This entry-level edition is aimed at small businesses that need an affordable, dependable, and secure application server. The Foundation edition supports 8 GB of RAM, one CPU, and 50 Remote Service Gateways but does not include Hyper-V, DirectAccess for remote access without a VPN connection, or Failover Clustering.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard: The Standard edition is for small and mid-size businesses and has a rich feature set that includes Hyper-V and advanced remote access technology but does not support Failover Clustering. This edition supports 32 GB of RAM, 4 CPUs, one virtual machine in addition to a host, and 250 Remote Service Gateways.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise: The Enterprise edition is designed for businesses who need to minimize downtime for mission-critical applications. High-availability technologies provided in this edition and not in the Standard edition include Failover Clustering, fault-tolerant memory synchronization, and Hot Add Memory. The Enterprise edition supports 2 TB of RAM, 8 CPUs, 4 virtual machines in addition to the host, and unlimited Remote Service Gateways.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter: This premier edition of Windows Server 2008 R2 is for organizations requiring the highest levels of availability and scalability. This edition supports 2 TB of RAM, up to 64 CPUs, plus unlimited virtual machine licensing and Remote Service Gateways. Additional fault-tolerant technologies include Hot Replace Memory and Hot Add/Replace Processors.
- Microsoft Web Server 2008 R2: This edition offers an affordable, dedicated platform for web applications and services. The Web edition does not include Hyper-V, Failover Clustering, or Remote Service Gateways. This web-facing server supports 32 GB of RAM and 4 CPUs and can be virtualized as a guest.
- Server Core installation options are supported for all these editions of Windows Server 2008 R2 except Foundation. Server Core installations allow you to select only the server roles you need to run your applications. These minimal configurations reduce physical resource requirements, simplify management tasks by eliminating unnecessary components, and enhance security by shrinking the operating system's attack surface.
Progent's Support for Windows Server 2008 R2
Progent offers affordable remote consulting and support services to help you plan, deploy, and manage Windows Server 2008 R2. Progent can help you evaluate the business value of upgrading from earlier versions of Windows Server and can follow industry best practices to ensure a smooth migration to this powerful platform.
Progent's Hyper-V virtualization consultants can help you set up a secure virtualized server environment that cuts data center costs, is easy to manage, and offers a high level of availability and recoverability. Progent's infrastructure experts can show you how to set up fast, safe, and reliable connections between your data center and branch offices, telecommuters, and mobile workers. Progent's business continuity engineers can help you to design, test, and document proven disaster recovery procedures and can show you economical ways to maximize network uptime despite natural catastrophes.
Progent's security engineers can help you define and implement appropriate Windows Server 2008 R2 Group Policy for managing options like registry-based policy and security settings, administration scripts, Remote Installation Server, and folder redirection. Progent can also perform remote security scans to help assess your network's vulnerability to external and internal attacks in order to validate security compliance and protect your information resources.
Find Out More About Progent's Server Support
To get in touch with Progent about consulting or troubleshooting help with technologies associated with Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.
Click here to go to the table of contents of the IT Connection newsletter.