Junos OS is Juniper's flagship network operating system built on a single, modular code base that powers the majority of Juniper's current portfolio of routers, switches, and security appliances. The latest releases of Junos OS have incorporated many of the flow-based security features formerly available only with Juniper's NetScreen OS so that Junos now delivers both high performance and advanced security. Some of Juniper's platforms such as the Juniper SSG Series of firewall/VPN routers still ship with ScreenOS as the default operating system and Junos available as an option, but Juniper's clear strategy is to standardize on Junos OS across all product lines.
Among the advantages of standardizing on a single network operating system architecture with a single-source code base is that it is easier for network managers to learn about, administer, monitor, troubleshoot, and upgrade appliances while making it simpler to design and implement cohesive enterprise-wide strategies for security, availability, and business continuity. The modular design of Junos OS can significantly improve network uptime by allowing new services to be added without bringing devices offline. The modular approach to operating system design also protects IT investments by making it possible to add services and features when they are needed without requiring network hardware to be replaced.
For over a decade Juniper has maintained a consistent software release schedule of four major releases of Junos per year covering all Junos-supported products and built on prior code. This simplifies administrative planning, reduces the technical risk and management hassle of the update process, and avoids the confusion and network instability that can result when network appliances are running a chaotic mix of upgrades, updates, revisions, or temporary patches no longer supported by the equipment vendor.
Progent's Juniper-certified network engineers can help you utilize Junos OS and the Junos platform of network management applications to configure, administer, and monitor Junos-powered devices; migrate to the Junos OS operating system from other Juniper software platforms such as ScreenOS; and upgrade your Juniper routers, switches, and gateways to the latest version of Junos OS.
Juniper's Junos OS spans a broad range of routers, switches, and integrated security appliances
Management Software for Junos OS
Juniper offers a rich set of applications to simplify and centralize network infrastructure and security management. Progent's network experts can provide assistance in deploying and operating these tools, which include:
- J-Web is a web-based GUI bundled with J Series routers that provides configuration and quality of service wizards that simplify the management of network routers and switches and allow real-time network management service changes and upgrades.
- Junoscope is a suite of Web-based management tools that allows service providers to manage operations and administration of all Junos routers and includes four application modules: Looking Glass, Configuration Manager, Inventory Management System, and Software Manager.
- Junos Space provides applications for network infrastructure automation with modules that include Ethernet Design for automating configuration, monitoring and administration of switch and router networks; Security Design for automating device and security service deployment; and Virtual Control for managing virtual and physical networks.
- Network and Security Manager (NSM) simplifies management of device configuration, network settings, and security policies for Juno OS-based firewall/VPN security platforms, J Series routers, and SA Series SSL VPN appliances. NSM includes NSMXpress, a Web version of NSM, and NSM Central Manager, a web UI-based appliance that allows administrators to propagate policies across a worldwide network.
Progent's Consulting Services for Juniper Junos OS
Progent's Juniper-certified network engineers can help you take full advantage of Junos OS and related management tools for streamlining the management and monitoring of Juniper routers, switches, and security appliances. Areas of expertise where Progent's consultants can provide support include:
- Junos migration and upgrade planning and implementation
- Using the CLI interface, J-Web, and Network and Security Manager (NSM) for device configuration
- Configuring user accounts with custom login classes
- Configuring syslog, tracing, Network Time Protocol (NTP), configuration archival, and SNMP
- BGP route advertisement and ISP mutlihoming
- Configuring routing policy
- Zone assignments, interfaces, and routing
- Configuring security policies and Proxy-ARP
- Symmetric and asymmetric key encryption
- Policy-based and route-based IPsec implementations
- Security associations
- Configuring high availability clustering and redundancy groups
- Configuring firewall access profiles and client groups
- Configuring UTM policies and license enforcement
- Configuring anti-spam filtering, anti-virus, content filtering, and web filtering
- Using IDP policy templates
- Policy scheduling and rematching
- SCREEN options for handling Reconnaissance, Denial of Service, and Suspicious Packets Attacks
- Source, Destination, and Static NAT configuration
- Configuring Junos Enhanced Services security policies actions
Progent's CISSP certified network security consultants and CISM certified cybersecurity management consultants offer affordable remote security vulnerability testing and can also help your organization to develop a company-wide security plan and build security into your day-to-day operations. In addition, Progent can assist you to plan and operate advanced SIEM solutions to help you comply with government requirements for reporting security events.
Progent’s Technical Response Center (TRC) can deliver emergency remote technical support for Juniper products and provides quick access to a Juniper-certified infrastructure engineer.
Call or Email Progent for Juniper Networks Consulting
If you want consulting services or problem analysis for Juniper firewalls, VPN appliances, or routers, phone Progent at 800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.