The Cost Advantages of Help Desk Call Center Outsourcing
Progent's Help Desk outsourcing services offer substantial business benefits compared with going it alone with a Help Desk Call Center run exclusively by internal employees. Many of the advantages of outsourcing, such as increased computer or network uptime, obviously improve worker output but are not easy to assess precisely in dollars and cents. Other areas, like internal salaries compared to granular charges for outsourced Help Desk support, can be misleading at first. This comparison will elucidate some of the major cost/benefit issues related to selecting an internal or an outsourced Help Desk.
If you have an internally staffed Help Desk Call Center, you may need to decide whether your business should add people to your IT service group or outsource Help Desk Call Center services. You could reach this point owing to a variety of circumstances. Examples include:
Any of these circumstances might create major pressure on your Help Desk and as a consequence disrupt productivity. If some of these events occur at the same time, your IT management team could have a meltdown.
- Workforce growth is overwhelming your Help Desk
- One of your Help Desk team has left your company
- You are opening a new branch in another region
- Work-from-Home users have multiplied Help Desk Call Center call tickets and introduced new sorts of support issues
- Your Help Desk Call Center staff members are required for helping with operational IT projects
The Cost of an Internal Help Desk Call Center Worker
It's natural but misleading to compare the base salaries of internal personnel with the granular per-minute costs of an outsourced Help Desk Call Center group. Although costs for an in-house Level 1 IT Help Desk worker differ from city to city (e.g., Atlanta vs. New York), most areas in the U.S. fall into this range:
As in the case of any salaried, permanent employee, the true yearly cost of a Help Desk Call Center support person can be more than 50% above the base salary. These expenses do not factor in one-time expenses for recruitment, interviews, setup, or training. They also fail to take into account the expense of setting up new employees who quickly quit.
- Typical Base Salary for Level 1 Technician: $45,000-$65,000
- Taxes, Benefits, Paid Time Off: $18,000-$26,000
- Hardware Costs: $2,000
- Software Licensing: $1,000-$4,000
- Office Space, Supplies, Furnishings, Utilities: $4,000-$10,000
- Continuing Education: $1,000
- Total: $71,000 - $108,000
In order to make a realistic comparison between the business value of an internal Help Desk vs. Progent's outside Help Desk services, the costs of Progent's services should be looked at against the advantages. Items to consider include:
In the end, the greatest benefit of Progent's Help Desk Call Center Outsourcing service is the minimization of computer downtime. Whether for one worker or a whole organization, waiting for the right IT solution is an expensive activity.
- Progent charges Help Desk Call Center customers for service on a per-minute basis and at a discounted rate: Typical price to Progent clients for Progent's Level 1 Help Desk support start at about $18 for each user monthly. Granular pricing means time utilization is virtually 100%. You are only charged for services delivered. Salaried internal employees occasionally have dead time that you pay for.
- Progent can provide 24x7 support: Progent's standard service availability is 14 hours on weekdays. 24x7 service is optional. In-house Help Desk Call Centers are typically open only during regular working hours. This can impede productivity if serious issues occur during off hours. Also, exfiltration attacks like ransomware are typically activated over weekends when network support groups are thinly staffed.
- Progent's Help Desk scales on demand: Recruiting new internal IT personnel can take months. By leveraging Progent's extensive team of IT support experts you can adjust your Help Desk capacity on demand. You don't have to worry about finding replacements for technicians calling in sick, hiring additional IT support help to meet increased demand or to replace employees who leave, or trimming your permanent in-house IT team if business slows. You can rapidly respond to business cycles peculiar to your market or responsive to the economy as a whole.
- Contractual responsiveness: Progent offers SLAs to make sure support requests are handled quickly. In-house Help Desk teams have no practical equivalent of an SLA.
- Breadth of IT expertise: Progent has been delivering online technical support for over 20 years. Progent's IT support professionals are steeped in a broad range of new as well as legacy technologies deployed in a variety of industries. This set of expertise allows Progent to save time and expense by delivering fast solutions to problems that could otherwise be shuttled to a higher and more pricey level of support. In our fast-changing IT landscape, it is tough on the budget when newer products and technologies have to be learned on your dime. Also, Progent's expertise makes it easier to anticipate and correct emerging technical problems before they have a chance to disrupt productivity.
- Access to subject matter experts (SMEs): Progent's Help Desk outsourcing and co-sourcing services also provide access to Progent's pool of SMEs to deliver fast resolution of Level 2 and Level 3 technical problems that are outside the skill set of most Level 1 Help Desk technicians. Progent's ability to assign the right engineer for an advanced issue can minimize the disruption caused by downtime.
- Enterprise-class multi-tenant ticketing and tracking system: Progent securely shares enterprise-class service management technology that allows Progent and customers to create and monitor trouble tickets, assign responsibility, show the real-time progress of problems, record services performed, and generate management analytics.
- Help Desk co-management distributes the workload: Progent's Co-sourced Help Desk Call Center service seamlessly shares service calls between a client's in-house IT support staff and Progent's roster of support techs and subject matter experts. You determine how trouble tickets are distributed, but Progent usually handles Level 1 and Level 3 tickets. The Help Desk Call Center software transparently manages generation, escalation, tracking, and management reporting. Co-sourcing allows your in-house techs to deliver hands-on support when circumstances require it and at the same time enables on-demand scale-up for remote help.
- Have your internal IT service team focus on operational aspects of your business: Your internal network support team understands more about your business than any outside service organization. Utilizing Progent's Help Desk outsourcing services frees these valuable resources from being consumed by Level 1 support services like recovering passwords and offers them the opportunity to marshal technology to deliver strategic advantage.
Learn More about Progent's Help Desk Outsourcing and Co-sourcing Services
To learn more about Progent's Help Desk Call Center Outsourcing services, visit Progent's Help Desk Call Center outsourcing services. To ask about signing up for Progent's Help Desk Call Center services, call 800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.