Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 R2 business accounting software includes more than 120 enhancements including a service-based architecture that improves cloud-readiness and enables device independence, closer integration with Microsoft Azure Active Directory for single sign on capability, a new Invoicing module for the Web Client, the inclusion of Management Reporter within Dynamics GP navigation, nine new native Workflows, refreshable Excel Reports with SmartList Designer, and a variety of new features for employee self-service.
Migrating to Dynamics GP 2015 R2 from an earlier version of Dynamics GP or Great Plains can require significant system changes because Dynamics GP 2015 R2 no longer supports Windows XP or Vista clients, Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft SQL Server 2008, or Office Communicator 2007. For businesses moving to a cloud environment or a hybrid cloud/physical solution, issues such as network infrastructure, security and compliance, Office 365 integration, and disaster recovery may require special attention. Progent's team of Microsoft-certified and Cisco-certified consultants offer the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience to address the many technical and business issues associated with migrating to Dynamics GP 2015 R2 and can help you carry out an efficient migration that will maximize the business value of your investment in this critical platform.
Key Enhancements in Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 R2
The predecessor of Dynamics GP, Great Plains accounting software, predates the web and this seminal platform has tracked the evolution of small business computing through the emergence of the cloud and the bring-your-own-device (BYOD) model for end users. The headline innovation of Dynamics GP 2015 R2 is a new Service Based Architecture (SBA), which replaces SOAP protocol with REST-style integrations that allow Dynamics GP and third-party applications to expose and consume web services securely and efficiently.
SBA's stateless connection architecture eliminates disconnections caused by lost packets. SBA also allows single server deployment or scale-out deployment across multiple servers, and supports both single tenant or multitenant environments. Support for HTML 5 https protocol with the REST-based API makes it easier to build apps that run on different platforms including Windows, iOS and Android. In addition, SBA offers secure access by allowing Windows or Office 365 Identity to authenticate and by providing role-based security and end-to-end SSL encryption. Dynamics GP's Service Based Architecture also offers enhanced interoperability for integration with other platforms based on Microsoft's .NET Framework.
Dynamics GP 2015 R2 supports platform-independent applications for desktop and mobile devices
Additional system-level enhancements in Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 R2 include:
Dynamics GP 2015 R2 incorporates a long list of enhancements that improve the usability and productivity of various applications including Financials, Distribution, HR, Payroll, Field Service, and Project Management. Notable application enhancements introduced in Dynamics GP 2015 R2 include:
- Identity Management for Web Client: Single sign-on through integration with Azure Active Directory allows users to work seamlessly with Dynamics GP, Office 365, and other cloud applications. You can log into Dynamics GP Web Client using your Azure AD account. (Learn about Progent's Microsoft Azure planning and cloud integration consulting services.)
- Copy Home Page Settings: Setting up or editing Dynamics GP 2015 R2 users has been streamlined through the ability to copy extensive setup information from one user to another. The prior release of Dynamics GP allowed you to copy Security Access settings (roles, tasks, company access). In Dynamics GP 2015 R2, this has been expanded with the ability to copy Home Page Role, Home Page Content, and Area Pages. Copying and then editing setup information from existing users to new users with similar setting requirements saves considerable time and can also reduce errors associated with complex configurations.
- Web Client Enhancements: Dynamics GP 2015 R2 includes two new Web Client Modules, Invoicing and Canadian Payroll. The most widely used Dynamics GP features are now available on Web Client, but to keep tool relatively light, some high-end Dynamics GP functions are not available via Web Client including Advanced Financial Analysis or Multidimensional Analysis.
- Self Service User Type: Dynamics GP supports a Self Service user type designed and licensed at low cost for named (as opposed to concurrent) individual users with very light usage. Features newly available for Employee Self Service in Dynamics GP 2015 R2 include Employee Profile, Paystubs, W4, Benefits, Direct Deposit, Skills and Training, and Project Expense.
Progentís Consulting Services for Microsoft Dynamics/Great Plains
- Nine New Native Workflows: Dynamics GP 2015 R2 adds nine new Workflows for Financial, Purchasing, Sales and Payroll. These include GL Batch Approval, Payables Batch Approval, Vendor Approval, Receivables Batch Approval, Employee Skills Approval, Direct Deposit Approval, Employee Profile Approval, W4 Approval, and Expense Report Approval.
- SmartList Designer Refreshable Excel Reports: Dynamics GP 2015 R2 includes the ability to take SmartList Designer reports based on SQL Views and publish them to Refreshable Excel Reports, which will stay current with changes in Dynamics GP data.
- Navigation Integration for Management Reporter: You can access a new navigation list for Management Reporter from the Administration and Financial navigation buttons. This offers authorized users the convenience of viewing, editing, and creating Management Reporter actions from within Dynamics GP.
- Cross-platform Apps: Business Analyzer Release 7 allows users of tablets and smart phones powered by Windows, iOS, or Android to view and take action on Dynamics GP business information. Business Analyzer R7 supports Management Reporter (MR) content as well as SSRS and Excel Reports functionality. Authorized users may add any Management Reporter report to the app start page and view the report in the MR HTML viewer. The Time Management app, which is available for tablets powered by Windows, iOS or Android, allows Dynamics GP employees to enter vacation and sick time in Payroll or time off against Benefits Timecodes within Human Resources. Business Analyzer R7 and the Time Management app are available in Windows store, iTunes store, and Google Play.
- Mask SSN on Payroll and HR Reports: Administrators can now optionally replace Social Security Numbers on specified Dynamics GP reports with a XXX-XX-XXXX mask without having to use Report Writer to make custom changes.
The Dynamics GP Time Management is available for Windows 8, iOS iPads, and Android tablets
- Purchasing All-in-One Document View: This new window provides a convenient, central location for viewing all transactions for a specific vendor or for viewing Purchasing documents associated with a specific Purchasing transaction such as Purchase Orders, Shipments, Invoices, Payments, Returns, and Credit Documents. This feature includes a new window for searching and filtering.
- GL Combine Inquiry: In General Ledger, the Detail Inquiry window has been combined with the Historical Detail Inquiry window so that open as well as historical years can now be displayed in the Year drop down field.
Progent offers expert support for all versions of Microsoft Dynamics GP and can help you design, deploy and manage your GP solution whether it is based in your physical datacenter, hosted in the cloud, or uses a hybrid local/cloud environment.
Microsoft Dynamics GP/Great Plains consulting services available from Progent include:
- Migrate to the latest versions of Dynamics GP 2015 R2 from other accounting software or earlier versions of Dynamics GP/Great Plains.
- Integrate Dynamics GP with other Microsoft platforms by providing SQL Server consulting, SharePoint expertise, Azure AD integration services, and Office 365 support.
- Deliver virtualization expertise by providing Hyper-V consulting, VMware vSphere integration, and Citrix XenServer and XenDesktop support.
- Provide backup/recovery consulting, disaster recovery planning services, and business continuity solutions
- Provide BYOD support for Dynamics GP by offering iPhone and iPad integration, Android phone and tablet consulting, and RIM BlackBerry expertise.
- Help with updates, moves, feature packs, service packs, security patches, and third-party add-ons by providing System Center Configuration Manager support.
- Provide database administration services including automation with PowerShell scripting to improve the efficiency of your Dynamics GP 2015 R2 management
- Provide data security consulting and security vulnerability assessments to verify the security and compliance of your Dynamics GP 2015 R2 environment
- Provide custom webinar training to improve the way you use Dynamics GP 2015 R2
Progent's experts can show you how to use powerful reporting tools with Dynamics GP to integrate data from multiple sources across your organization and Progent can help you create and distribute custom reports to help drive smart business decisions. Progent can also help you convert old reports to work with current software. Dynamics GP reporting tools supported by Progent include Management Reporter/FRx, SSRS, SQL Server Analysis Services, Report Writer, SmartList Designer, Refreshable Excel Reports, Power BI (Pivot, Query, View, Map, Data Management Gateway), Modifier with VBA, Crystal Reports, and Microsoft Enterprise Reporting. To learn more about Progent's consulting services for creating customized Dynamic GP reports, visit Dynamics GP custom report consulting.
Application Development Services
Progent's developers can help you create custom integrations with Dynamics GP that involve projects such as adding windows or .NET controls, importing or exporting data, synchronizing data with external systems, and creating tables for additional data.
Progent can work with major development tools including Visual Studio, Dexterity, Continuum, Web Services for Dynamics GP, Integration Manager and Extender. For more information about Progent's application development services for creating Dynamic GP, see Dynamics GP software development services.
Contact Progent About Consulting and Troubleshooting Support for Microsoft Dynamics GP
If you are looking for a Microsoft Dynamics GP consulting specialist, phone 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.
Download Progent's Dynamics GP/Great Plains Consulting Datasheet
To download a datasheet summarizing Progent's consulting services for Microsoft Dynamics GP/Great Plains, click Download Microsoft Dynamics GP/Great Plains Consulting Datasheet (PDF file).
Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Technology
For companies of all sizes anywhere in the United States, Progent's Microsoft-certified experts can provide affordable online network help and professional consulting services for the entire array of Microsoft .NET servers. Progent offers Windows Server 2019 upgrade expertise, Windows Server 2016 hybrid cloud solutions, Windows Server 2012 R2 configuration assistance, Windows 2008 Server consulting, and Windows 2003 Server upgrade help. Progent's planning, integration, update, and support capabilities cover network architecture, configuration, and management help for
project analysis and documentation, on-site and remote
IT support and system troubleshooting,
Help Desk Services, comprehensive
security expertise, turn-key
outsourcing, Microsoft Exchange hosting and management, and ProSight Virtual Hosting service.
Progent also offers a broad array of remote PC desktop support and troubleshooting services such as Windows 10 planning consulting, Microsoft Windows 8.1 consulting expertise, Windows 7 technical support, upgrading to 64-bit computing, Office desktop and Office 365 integration, and automating PC desktop image creation.
If your company needs urgent remote help from a Microsoft certified network expert, go to Progent's Emergency Online Computer Support.
Find out more about Progent's Microsoft technology consulting services.