Introducing Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server
Exchange Server 2003 delivers a dependable, scalable, and easy-to-manage platform offering 24◊7 messaging and collaboration plus quick return on investment. Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 enables a wide range of collaborative activities, such as group scheduling capabilities, discussion areas, and team folders, and also gives access to data that crosses territorial, logical, and architectural divisions with productivity enhancers such as Instant Messaging, on-demand information, and video conferencing. MS Exchange Server 2003 delivered enhancements over Exchange 2000 Server in important technologies that cover protection, performance, and remote and mobile communications.
In 2009 Microsoft terminated support for Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server, forcing information technology managers deal with all the problems associated with supporting a legacy email platform. Still, a large number of Exchange sites are now operating Exchange Server 2003. Progent's Microsoft-authorized IT engineers offer extensive experience maintaining Exchange Server 2003 and can assist your organization to administer and repair your existing Exchange 2003 environment or help you to plan and implement an economical upgrade to a current edition of Exchange. (Refer to Progent's Microsoft Exchange Server 2016 migration support and Exchange Server 2013 expertise.)
Improvements of Microsoft Exchange 2003 Over Exchange Server 2000
Exchange 2003 Server features improvements in capability over Microsoft Exchange Server 2K in important capabilities including disaster recovery, performance, security, mobility, teamwork, and simplicity of management.
- Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server delivers superior disaster recovery by adding the capability of eight-node clustering, quicker cluster failover, support for mount points which overcome the 24-drive designation limit, SAN compatibility, Volume Shadow Copy Service for database backup, a Mailbox Recovery Center utility, and a Restore Storage group.
- MS Exchange 2003 Server improves responsiveness via features such as /3GB and /USERVA startup switches for adjusting the use of memory, public folder store replication improvements, distribution list performance improvements, and control of Out of Office messages.
- Security enhancements offered by Exchange 2003 Server include Internet Protocol security (IPsec) support for front- and back-end clusters, signed Lightweight Directory Access Protocol requests to Active Directory, front- and back-end Kerberos validation, Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 protection, limiting of distribution lists to authenticated users, real-time Safe and Block lists, inbound recipient filtering, attachment restrictions in Outlook Web Access, and public folders permissions improvements.
- MS Exchange 2003 Server offers better support for mobile workers by adding an Outlook Web Access user interface (UI) and a broader range of capabilities for Web Outlook client, Microsoft Outlook performance improvements through MAPI compression, HTTP access from Microsoft Outlook, cHTML aND.htmL smart phone browser support, and synchronization of notifications for handheld computers.
- Management and serviceability are improved by organizing queues on a per-server system, enhancing the user interface (UI), revealing all system queues, enabling cookie permission, using Exchange System Manager to move log and queue data, including a multi-user Move Mailbox function, and adding dynamic distribution lists, public folder Send hierarchy, and public folder affinity to manage referrals.
Advantages of Exchange 2003 Vs. Microsoft Exchange 5.5
Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server offered significant improvements in capability over Exchange 5.5 in important areas affecting accessibility, manageability, protection, stability, capacity, and performance.
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 brings a significant improvement in functionality compared to the Exchange 5.5 web client. MS Exchange Server 2003 provides a nearly identical version of the traditional Microsoft Outlook interface including scheduling and utilities. Because of this, remote and mobile workers can have complete, secure access to email even if they don't have a notebook. All mobile users need is an Internet-attached PC with a conventional browser.
- Unlike MS Exchange Server 5.5, which has a built-in directory, Exchange 2003 Server takes advantage of Active Directory (AD), providing a more streamlined management and protection structure. This makes Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 less expensive to manage and maintain and in addition allows better security.
- MS Exchange Server 2003 has a powerful architecture for transparently integrating non-Microsoft utilities including anti-virus and anti-spamming tools. MS Exchange Server 2003's versatile Application Programming Interface (API) eliminates the instability associated with Exchange Server 5.5 when integrating third-party utilities.
- Exchange Server 2003 delivers significantly improved scalability and performance in comparison to Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5. Enhancements allow more and bigger mailboxes and faster remote access.
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 also offers improved searching ability, making it easier and faster to retrieve important data when you need it.
Advantages MS Exchange 2003 Server Vs. an ISP-provided or POP3 Email Environment
If your business is now using an email system hosted by an Internet Service Provider (ISP) or if you are operating your Microsoft Outlook clients in POP3 mode, Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server offers a wealth of enhanced capabilities covering ease of management, responsiveness, size, reliability, and group support:
- In contrast to the store-and-forward model utilized by POP3 email environments, MS Exchange Server 2003 is based on a central-store model that liberates users from dependence on a specific PC or laptop, reduces susceptibility to computer failure or virus attacks, and permits both on-line and off-line email, automatic backup, and sophisticated sharing and collaboration.
- Exchange Server 2003 offers powerful collaboration features that permit teams to maximize productivity by sharing scheduling, address books, correspondence, and data.
- The flexibility of MS Exchange 2003 Server makes it possible to install third-party security enhancements or accommodate wireless computers such as the RIM BlackBerry.
- Exchange Server 2003 works with powerful administration and monitoring utilities to confirm that your email environment is running smoothly.
- MS Exchange Server 2003 allows full on-line backup without hurting productivity, enabling round-the-clock availability by avoiding routine maintenance blackouts.
How Progent Can Help You to Move Your POP3 Clients to Microsoft Exchange 2003
Progent's background and proven methodologies can help you to manage a quick, non-disruptive migration of your POP3 e-mail users to Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server. Progent attends to critical issues such as managing domain names so that both local and remote users make a hassle-free transition from the limitations of POP3 messaging. Progent can help you with integrating an on-site Exchange 2003 Server system or assist you to locate and manage your Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 in an off-site datacenter. Progent's disaster recovery experts can assist your organization to design and execute a complete workplace recovery plan that incorporates Microsoft Data Protection Manager consulting for ongoing online backup and fast data recovery.
How Progent Can Assist You to Upgrade to MS Exchange Server 2013 or Exchange 2016 from Exchange Server 2003
Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants can assist your company to move to MS Exchange 2013 Server or migrate to MS Exchange Server 2016 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 at the least possible cost or interruption of business. Progent can assist you to enhance Microsoft Exchange security, speed, reliability, and availability and streamline management. Progent's certified security specialists can evaluate and improve your security strategy and Progent's Cisco-certified network consultants can upgrade your network infrastructure to increase network efficiency and lower support expense.
Microsoft 365 Exchange Online Integration with On-premises Exchange
Microsoft allows you to create transparent hybrid networks that combine Office 365 and local installations of Exchange. This permits you to have some Exchange mailboxes located at your corporate datacenter and other mailboxes resident on Microsoft 365. Progent's Microsoft-certified Exchange consulting team can assist your organization with any facet of planning, integrating and debugging your hybrid Microsofte 365 solution. Progent's Exchange consultants can deliver occasional support to help you resolve challenging technical issues and also offer extensive project management outsourcing or co-sourcing to make sure your hybrid Office 365/Exchange initiative is carried out on time and on budget. To find out more about Progent's consulting services for integrating Microsoft 365 and on-premises Exchange environments, visit Office 365 integration with on-premises Exchange.
If you wish to ask Progent about engineering support for MS Exchange Server integration, phone 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.
Progent's Consulting and Support Services for Microsoft .NET Servers
For small businesses anywhere in the United States, Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants offer computer assistance and professional consulting support for the entire family of Microsoft .NET servers and Microsoft Windows Servers. Progent's migration, installation, optimization, and consulting services cover system design, configuration, and administration help for
project management and documentation, on-site and remote
technical help and network repair,
Standard Help Desk Call Center Services or Shared Help Desk Call Center Support, comprehensive
security expertise, IT
ProSight Virtual Hosting services.
If your company needs immediate online support from a certified consultant, visit Progent's Urgent Online Technical Support.
Learn more concerning Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Server Products.