Microsoft ISA Server 2000 Firewall
Microsoft ISA Server 2000 Firewall provides policy-based security, enhanced performance, and easy management of internetworking by providing both a firewall and a Web cache server integrated with Microsoft's familiar Windows 2000 operating system. The firewall provides extensive data filtering, control of access policy, and traffic routing. The cache improves network performance by storing frequently requested Web content.
Microsoft ISA Server 2000 includes powerful management tools to simplify critical processes including policy definition, traffic routing, server publishing, and monitoring. ISA Server 2000 builds on Windows 2000 security, directory, virtual private networking (VPN), and bandwidth control. The firewall and cache can be deployed on their own dedicated servers or integrated on the same physical computer. In either configuration, ISA Server can significantly enhance network security, enforce consistent Internet usage policy, accelerate Internet access, and improve employee productivity. ISA Server 2000 is no longer available from Microsoft and has been replaced by ISA Server 2004 and ISA Server 2006. Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants offer full-spectrum support for existing ISA Server 2000 environments and can also help you evaluate, migrate to and manage the latest versions of Microsoft's firewall solutions.
Benefits of Microsoft ISA Server 2000
- The option to setup a security environment in which use and access permissions/restrictions to Internet services are tied to the individual user logon account that the user is currently logged into. Most firewalls only allow restrictions to the Ethernet addresses of physical PCs, which is both inflexible and difficult to manage. With ISA Server 2000 you could, for example, limit individual users to specific sites and stop them from performing functions such as MP3 downloading or Internet radio.
- Integration with Windows 2000 Active Directory for easy configuration and management of Internet-related user, group, and access policy information.
- Special Exchange RPC-based filtering mode that gives authorized external users the ability to access an internal Exchange server remotely using the full capabilities of the native Exchange mode of Outlook, without requiring a complicated VPN connection.
- Because ISA Server is an application that runs on top of standard Windows 2000, administrators can leverage a familiar graphical user environment and administration tools for all aspects of configuration and management. Other firewall products, such as Cisco Pix, require the knowledge of an arcane and non-intuitive configuration language requiring highly trained experts.
- ISA Server has comprehensive support for protecting IIS servers behind the firewall, which has been one of the largest areas of hacker exploits for Windows 2000 environments.
- Support for a DMZ zone, allowing for the highest level of safety and security for placing servers that require public access in a special network segment while fully protecting the internal network.
- Microsoft has developed powerful programming APIs so that 3rd party software developers can create specialized add-on features to the ISA Server, such as web content blocking, advanced intrusion detection, load balancing, and virus protection. Hundreds of 3rd party add-on products are currently available and new ones are continually being introduced.
- Bandwidth prioritization allows companies to specify what is most critical (such as eCommerce and customer-related web servers) to allocate limited Internet bandwidth. These bandwidth allocations can be based on the specific user, application, protocol, or service.
- Built-in intelligent web page caching capabilities speeds up the user Internet browsing experience and dramatically reduces Internet bandwidth usage by keeping copies of frequently accessed pages locally in hard disk storage on the ISA Server. When a user requests a web page that is cached, it is served from the local cache without using up Internet bandwidth.
- Detailed security access logging features to understand security threats. Basic-level intrusion detection filters to alert against common intrusion attempts.
- Microsoft ISA Server 2000 is a cost-effective solution. The simple pricing model is server based and is not tied to the number of users, which can make competing firewall products a very expensive alternative.
How Progent's Consultants Provide Microsoft ISA Server 2000 Help
Firewalls and security rules are complicated to plan and configure in a way that is optimized for your business. Excessive restrictions can impede workflow and hinder productivity, but overly lax security leaves your system open to malicious hackers and viruses.
Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants have extensive backgrounds developing Microsoft-based security solutions for IT networks with multiple sites, remote workers, and mission-critical eCommerce applications. A Progent consultant is ready to give your company access to a security expert who can plan and implement a configuration of ISA Server 2000 that supports your business requirements without adversely restricting your network. Progent's ISA Server experts can also assist you in designing and implementing an efficient ISA Server 2000 to ISA Server 2006 upgrade to give you the benefits of Microsoft's most current firewall solution.
If you wish to contact Progent about consulting expertise for Microsoft ISA Server 2004 or Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 technology, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.
Progent's Consulting and Support Services for Microsoft Server Products
For small companies anywhere in the U.S., Progent's Microsoft-certified experts can provide computer help and professional consulting services for the whole array of Microsoft .NET servers and Microsoft Windows Servers. Progent's migration, installation, optimization, and support capabilities include network architecture, configuration, and management help for
project management and documentation, on-site and remote
IT support and network repair,
Standard Call Center Support or Shared Help Desk Call Center Services, comprehensive
security consulting, full-service
ProSight Virtual Hosting services.
If your company is looking for immediate remote help from a Microsoft certified engineer, go to Progent's Urgent Online Network Support.
Find out more details about Progent's Consulting and Support Services for Microsoft .NET Servers.