Network monitoring typically consists of tracking a network’s data traffic to help determine bottlenecks or to troubleshoot hardware or application problems. Nagios and MRTG are powerful, Open Source monitoring utilities that run under Linux and can be helpful to understand mixed-platform environments where UNIX and Microsoft Windows both operate. Progent's system support engineers can show you how to use both these products to tune and repair your infrastructure.
Nagios Network Monitoring System
The Nagios network monitoring system is a host and service monitor that operates with Linux or a UNIX variant. The monitoring daemon runs periodic checks on hosts and services you request using external add-ons which return status information to Nagios. When issues are detected, the Nagios can generate alerts to management contacts in a variety of ways such as e-mail, instant messaging, or Short Message Service. Up to date status information, historical logs, and analysis reports can be accessed using a standard web browser.
Major capabilities of the Nagios monitor are:
- Monitoring of network services such as SMTP, HTTP, FTP, and PING
- Monitoring of host resources: CPU load, memory/disk utilization, running processes, etc.
- Ability to specify host hierarchy, permitting distinction between machines that are not running as opposed to hosts that are not accessible
- Support personnel notifications via email, beeper, or other pre-defined method when service or host issues occur or get fixed
- Ability to specify scripts to be executed during service or machine events for automated problem resolution
- Accommodation for implementing redundant and distributed network monitoring computers
- External command option that enables ad hoc modifications to be defined for the monitoring and alerting behavior via the utilization of event scripts, the web GUI, and third-party software
- Preservation of host and service state across program restarts
- Planned downtime for suppressing machine and service alerts when there are deliberate service breaks
- Browser interface for viewing current system status, notification and anomaly history, log file, etc.
- Permissions protocol that allows you to restrict what customers can view and modify from the web interface
Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG)
MRTG Graphical Traffic Load Monitor is an Open Source tool to monitor the traffic load on a network. Running under Microsoft Windows or Linux and most UNIX platforms, MRTG reads the traffic counters of routers and creates web-accessible graphs which offer a live visual representation of this data.
Multi Router Traffic Grapher lets you track the traffic through any SNMP network appliance. This can represent processors, routers, and switches. You can utilize the displayed data to determine network trouble spots.
Data you are able to graph using MRTG include:
- Throughput in and out in bits or bytes per second
- Connection rate in connections/sec
- Bandwidth through a particular Virtual server or node/real server
- Number of simultaneous sessions
Ask Progent about Network Monitoring Expertise
Progent’s network monitoring consultants are skilled in using a number of tools that can assist you to repair or optimize your network infrastructure. To get network monitoring expertise, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.
Progent's Microsoft, Cisco, and Applications Consulting Expertise
Progent's Microsoft and Cisco certified consultants offer customers in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and in cities across the United States a wide range of knowledge concerning the basic IT requirements shared by most small and mid-size business environments. Progent's core consulting areas include network integration, MS Exchange consulting, network security consulting and HelpDesk outsourcing and staffing. Progent's Application Experts Team offers in-depth knowledge of strategic application topics. By providing a single source for information technology generalists and experts, Progent is able to tailor speedy, cost-effective and comprehensive network solutions that address the special needs of your business.