Microsoft Exchange Online is one of several cloud-based applications included in the Microsoft 365 family of products supported by Microsoft Azure. Exchange Online provides the benefits of lower investment in physical infrastructure, easier management, on-demand scale, data protection, plus other benefits associated with public clouds vs. on-premises datacenters. Microsoft has engineered Exchange Online to work seamlessly with on-premises implementations of Exchange Server, enabling customers to build hybrid information systems. Hybrid networks include on-premises resources with cloud services to produce a unified network.
Typical reasons for combining local Exchange deployments with Exchange Online are adherence to government or industry standards or internal restrictions that prevent specific types of mailboxes from being moved off site, performance issues related to virtualization or cloud latency, the desire for more administrative control, the ability to accommodate various non-standard or outdated systems, company culture, or business continuity plans. Also, hybrid systems are typically implemented for moving non-disruptively from a local to a Microsoft 365 Exchange Online cloud-based environment.
Whether you need a transitional hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online implementation on the way to a full move to the cloud or you want to create a robust hybrid network model, Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants can help you with any stage of designing, configuring, administering, and troubleshooting your hybrid solution. Progent's Exchange experts can provide as-needed assistance to help resolve challenging technical issues and also can provide comprehensive project management outsourcing or co-sourcing to ensure your hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online implementation is performed on schedule and within.
Microsoft 365 Exchange Online hybrid deployments integrate on-premises and Azure cloud networks
Progent's Exchange specialists have valuable experience working with the Microsoft 365 support personnel to fix complex integration problems and Progent can provide on-going support services to help you to manage and tune your hybrid Exchange Online solution as your requirements evolve. Progent has two decades of background providing organizations of all sizes high-level consulting services remotely, and Progent can also provide onsite expertise in major metropolitan regions across the U.S. (See Progent's client testimonials.)
Hybrid Solutions for Exchange Online
A hybrid implementation of Microsoft 365 Exchange Online and on-premises Exchange allows you to have a mix of local and cloud mailboxes and brings other key capabilities including:
- Protected mail transfer with a domain namespace and an Outlook Web address shared between on-premises and Microsoft 365 organizations
- A shared global address list with complete recipient information
- A shared availability calendar
- Management of bi-directional mail flow across Microsoft 365 networks
- Simple transfer of mailboxes between local Exchange infrastructure and Microsoft 365 Exchange Online including Exchange ActiveSync profile redirection
- Local Exchange Administration Center for centralized mailbox administration
- Multi-mailbox search across on-prem and Microsoft 365 Exchange Online mailboxes
- Exchange Online Archiving for local and Microsoft 365 mailboxes
- Transparent integration with local and cloud-hosted implementations of Skype for Business and SharePoint
- Support for Microsoft Edge Transport server to protect against spam and apply mail flow transport policies
- Single sign-on via Azure AD Connect, password sync, or AD Federation Services
- AD Federation Services allows multi-factor authentication and complies with FIPS
Hybrid AD FS offers multi-factor authentication and complies with Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS)
Microsoft 365 supports several hybrid architectures. Thorough analysis with Progent's network design experts can save considerable effort and expense, since re-structuring a poorly conceived implementation can be difficult and disruptive. Creating an efficient hybrid Exchange Online solution can be challenging. The complexity depends on the makeup of your current email environment and the features you want to have. Basic steps are:
In the course of implementing a hybrid Microsoft 365 deployment, important decisions must made about local network topology, mail flow, identity, synchronization, compliance, performance, disaster recovery, archive policies, administration, delegation, mailbox size restrictions, mobile device management, integration with additional on-premises and cloud apps, and additional areas that affect the architecture and configuration of your hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online solution. Usually your local Exchange installation will need to be brought up to date.
- Decide on your essential goals for your hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online deployment
- Assess your current network resources and update as necessary
- Plan and test your new network architecture
- Create an implementation plan and identify migration technologies
- Identify on-premises vs. Microsoft 365 users
- Select required cloud services and purchase licenses
- Add and verify the domain of the Microsoft 365 portal
- Update DNS records
- Use IdFix to resolve on-premises Active Directory errors reported by AD Connect and configure on-premises Active Directory and optionally AD FS
- Set up single sign-on (SSO) and Directory Sync
- Assign licenses and create Accounts/mailboxes in Microsoft 365
- Export mailboxes to PSTs and import them from PSTs to Microsoft 365 Exchange Online mailboxes
- Integrate smartphones and tablets
- Migrate public folders
- Activate and Test services
- Tune performance
- Patch and verify firewalls and proxy servers
- Train IT management staff and clients
Microsoft provides an assortment of utilities to assist you to simplify most of the steps needed to create a hybrid network for Exchange Online. These utilities include the Microsoft 365 Hybrid Configuration Wizard, Windows PowerShell, the Exchange admin center, the Microsoft 365 Deployment Readiness tool, and the IdFix tool. In practice, many parts of setting up a hybrid Microsoft 365 deployment are prone to technical hiccups. Progent's Microsoft-certified experts have worked at length with issues related to designing and rolling out hybrid Microsoft 365 projects and can show you how to you follow best practices to anticipate common issues, overcome them quickly, and shield your clients from downtime.
How Progent Can Help You to Combine Microsoft 365 Exchange Online with Your Local Resources
Progent can help you in every step of migrating to Exchange Online and combining your local Exchange implementation with Exchange Online. Progent can help you to prioritize your strategic objectives, assess the suitability of your existing network infrastructure, plan the topology for a hybrid solution, create an implementation plan, configure and test a pilot deployment, configure your hybrid network, centralize administrative functions, optimize performance, organize licenses, provide expertise for disaster recovery plans, assess regulatory compliance, and deliver training for your IT team and users. Progent can provide cost-effective online consulting and troubleshooting to assist you to resolve stubborn problems, or Progent can provide comprehensive project management outsourcing services to help you finish your hybrid deployment of Microsoft 365 on time and on budget.
In addition to Exchange Online, Microsoft offers other applications within the Microsoft 365 product line. Included among these are Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business Online, SharePoint Online, and Microsoft Project Online. All of these applications can be deployed in cloud-based or hybrid models. Progent's Microsoft-certified Microsoft 365 configuration consultants can help you to create hybrid solutions that incorporate Microsoft 365 packages and local resources by delivering services that include Windows Server consulting, Exchange integration, Microsoft Teams integration consulting, Skype for Business maintenance and debugging, SQL Server integration and application development, SharePoint design and development, Microsoft 365 configuration and user training, Microsoft Project consulting, and Dynamics GP maintenance.
To help you to administer your hybrid network, Progent can provide System Center 2016 management consulting, System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) consulting, System Center Operations Manager (SCOM 2016) consulting, System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) consulting, Virtual Machine Manager hybrid cloud management expertise,
Typical examples of online and onsite consulting support offered by Progent to assist organizations to combine Microsoft 365 with local Exchange environments include:
Contact Progent for Hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online Expertise
- Tidy up email before exporting them into Exchange Online
- Configure authentication with Microsoft 365 and local Domain Users
- Configure Microsoft 365 and allocate licenses
- Rebuild profiles of Windows users
- Move Gmail accounts
- Perform manual mailbox exports when required
- Register accounts to iOS and Google Android smartphones and tablets
- Specify and configure Microsoft 365 Exchange Online Archiving
- Configure local or hybrid spam filter appliances from other vendors
- Fix Exchange Online sync problems with Active Directory clients and Active Directory Global Security Groups
- Troubleshoot Outlook autodiscover problems
- Fix problems related to MX and SPF records
- Define, configure, test, and rectify mail flow
- Troubleshoot AD FS and AD Connect identity management issues
- Deploy PowerShell for administration, diagnostics, and migration
- Work with Microsoft support technicians to isolate and repair issues at Microsoft's end (for example, a misconfigured Connector)
- Troubleshoot Microsoft 365 Message Encryption problems
- Update on-premises Exchange Servers to current versions of Exchange and upgrade equipment
- Train Human Resources on steps to disable email accounts for terminated workers
If you need assistance with any facet of integrating your local Exchange system with Microsoft 365, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.
Additional Public Cloud Integration Services from Progent
The options offered for public cloud products and services are increasing rapidly, making it hard for IT managers to select the right cloud solution for their business. Progent has in-depth experience assisting businesses of all sizes to plan, implement, and maintain hybrid environments that integrate various cloud products and services from major public cloud providers. Progent's cloud integration experts can help you to evaluate the comparative benefits and shortcomings of competing public cloud options and can help you build a cloud-centric or hybrid network that provides maximum competitive value.
Public cloud products and services supported by Progent's consultants include:
Progent's Azure planning and integration consultants can help you with every aspect of Azure cloud migration including needs definition, prerequisites assessment, system architecture, pre-production testing, deployment, automated management, performance tuning, software license controls, disaster recovery preparedness, security policy enforcement, and regulatory compliance validation. Progent can assist your IT staff to configure and troubleshoot firewall appliances and VPN connections so your clients can safely connect to Azure services, and Progent's Microsoft-certified consulting experts can assist you set up key Microsoft platforms to work in Azure including Microsoft Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server and SharePoint. Progent can also assist your organization to set up a hybrid environment that transparently combines on-premises datacenters with Azure resources.
Progent's certified Office and Microsoft 365 experts can help companies of any size to integrate Office desktop and Microsoft 365 apps including Office Excel, Office Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Microsoft Access, Visio and OneNote into a seamless solution that offers fast ROI and enables improved business results. Progent can help you to integrate Office or Microsoft 365 applications with each other and with additional key Microsoft platforms such as SharePoint, Exchange Server and Microsoft SQL Server running on-premises or in the cloud. Progent can also help you to fix compatibility issues between various releases of Office and offers customized online Microsoft Office and Microsoft 365 instruction to individuals or teams.
Progent's Amazon AWS cloud integration consultants can provide cost-effective online support to assist companies of any size to integrate Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud services including Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) for virtual server hosting, Amazon S3 for scalable high-performance storage, and Amazon Glacier for value-priced archival storage. Progent can help you with every aspect of Amazon AWS integration including requirements analysis, readiness assessment, architectural design, pilot testing, configuration, administration, performance tuning, software license management, backup/restore mechanisms, and security strategies. Progent offers advanced expertise with firewalls and VPN connections and can show you how to deploy all-cloud or hybrid ecosystems that seamlessly integrate Amazon AWS resources. Progent offers as-needed consulting or Progent can deliver comprehensive project management outsourcing services to help you migrate smoothly to the Amazon AWS platform.
Amazon Marketplace Web Service is an integrated collection of APIs that allows Amazon sellers to improve the efficiency of their business processes by automating crucial sales functions including listings, orders, payments, inbound and outbound fulfillment, and finances. By tapping into Amazon's extensive online selling environment and automating their sales, merchants can broaden their reach, lower their operating costs, improve reaction time to customers, and add to their profits. Progent's Amazon Marketplace Web Service (Amazon MWS) consultants can work with your development staff and provide programming, workflow integration, project management support, and training to help you shorten development time and costs and speed up your return on investment.
Progent's Google Cloud Platform (GCP) integration consultants can provide cost-effective online and on-premises consulting to assist companies of any size to move any part of their core network resources to Google Cloud Platform services. This can save time and hardware costs and enable access to Google's state-of-the-art machine learning technology. Progent can assist you with every phase of Google Cloud Platform integration including needs analysis, preparedness evaluation, architectural design and review, testing, deployment, centralized administration, performance tuning, licensing management, disaster recovery solutions, and security strategies.