Exchange Online is one of Microsoft's cloud-hosted applications in the Office 365 family of products enabled by Azure. Exchange Online provides the advantages of reduced spending for physical infrastructure, easier management, dynamic capacity, data protection, and other advantages inherent with public clouds vs. local datacenters. Microsoft has designed Exchange Online to operate transparently with local implementations of Exchange Server, allowing customers to build hybrid environments. Hybrid networks include local servers and storage with cloud products and services to create a unified IT solution.
Common reasons for combining local Exchange installations with Exchange Online include adherence to regulatory standards or corporate policies that prevent specific types of mailboxes from being hosted off premises, performance requirements involving server virtualization or cloud connectivity, the need for more administrative control, the need to accommodate certain home-grown or outdated systems, corporate culture, or business continuity strategies. In addition, hybrid deployments are often implemented for moving safely from an on-premises to an Exchange Online cloud-based environment.
If you want a temporary hybrid Exchange Online implementation to carry out a full move to the cloud or you want to build a long-term hybrid network model, Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants can assist you with any stage of designing, configuring, managing, and debugging your hybrid system. Progent's Exchange consultants offer occasional assistance to help you through challenging technical bottlenecks and also offer comprehensive project management outsourcing to ensure your hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online implementation is completed on schedule and on budget.
Exchange Online hybrid configurations span on-premises and Azure cloud resources
Progent's Exchange Server specialists have extensive experience teaming with Microsoft's Office 365 technical support staff to resolve complicated integration issues and Progent can provide on-going support services to help your business to manage and enhance your hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online ecosystem as your needs change over time. Progent has 20 years of experience providing companies of all sizes high-level consulting services remotely, and Progent also offers onsite support in metro areas across the U.S. (See Progent's customer testimonials.)
Hybrid Solutions for Office 365 Exchange Online
A hybrid deployment of Exchange Online and on-premises Exchange allows you to have a mix of local and cloud-hosted mailboxes and offers other key capabilities such as:
- Protected mail routing with a domain namespace and an Outlook on the Web address shared between local and Office 365 cloud networks
- A shared global address list (GAL) with complete recipient details
- A shared availability calendar
- Management of inbound and outbound mail travel across Office 365 organizations organizations
- Simple movement of mailboxes between on-premises Exchange and Office 365 Exchange Online including automatic Exchange ActiveSync profile redirection
- On-premises Exchange Administration Center for unified mailbox management
- Multi-mailbox search on local and Office 365 Exchange Online mailboxes
- Office 365 Exchange Online Archiving for local and Office 365 mailboxes
- Transparent incorporation with local and Azure-based implementations of Skype for Business and SharePoint server
- Support for Microsoft Edge Transport server to filter out spam and enforce mail flow transport rules
- Single sign-on via Azure Active Directory Connect, password synchronization, or Active Directory FS
- AD FS allows multi-factor authentication and complies with Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS)
Hybrid AD Federation Services provides multi-factor authentication and complies with Federal Information Processing Standards
Exchange Online supports a variety of hybrid architectures. Careful planning with Progent's solution design consultants can save you significant time and expense, since re-architecting a poorly conceived implementation can be complex and disruptive. Building an efficient hybrid Exchange Online solution can be challenging. The complexity depends on the makeup of your current email environment and the functionality you want to achieve. Major steps include:
In the course of configuring a hybrid Office 365 environment, important decisions have to be made about on-premises system architecture, mail flow, identity, synchronization, security, latency, backup and recovery, mailbox retention policies, management, delegation, size restrictions, mobile device support, integration with other on-premises and cloud apps, and other areas that affect the architecture and configuration of your hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online solution. Usually your local Exchange installation will need to be brought up to date.
- Determine your strategic requirements for your hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online deployment
- Evaluate your current network resources and update as needed
- Plan and test your new system architecture
- Create a deployment plan and select migration technologies
- Identify local vs. Office 365 clients
- Select appropriate Office 365 services and purchase licenses
- Add and verify the domain of the cloud portal
- Change/Add DNS records
- Utilize IdFix to resolve local Active Directory errors identified by AD Connect and configure on-premises Active Directory and optionally AD FS
- Configure SSO and Directory Sync
- Assign licenses and create Accounts/mailboxes in Office 365
- Move mailboxes to PSTs and move them from PSTs to Office 365 Exchange Online mailboxes
- Register smartphones and tablets
- Migrate public folders
- Verify services
- Patch and test firewalls and proxy servers
- Educate network support staff and users
Microsoft provides an assortment of utilities to assist you to simplify most of the steps needed to create a hybrid environment for Exchange Online. These tools include the Hybrid Configuration Wizard, PowerShell, the Exchange admin center, the Office 365 Deployment Readiness tool, and the IdFix tool. Realistically, many phases of setting up a hybrid Exchange Online deployment are subject to technical missteps. Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants have worked extensively with issues related to designing and rolling out hybrid Exchange Online deployments and can show you how to you follow leading practices to anticipate problems, resolve them quickly, and protect your clients from service disruptions.
How Progent Can Help You to Combine Exchange Online with Your Local Environment
Progent can assist you in every step of migrating to Microsoft Exchange Online and integrating your local Exchange implementation with cloud-hosted Exchange. Progent can help you to prioritize your strategic goals, assess the readiness of your existing infrastructure, design the architecture for a hybrid solution, devise a deployment process, set up and test a pilot deployment, configure your hybrid network, automate administrative functions, tune performance, organize licenses, provide expertise for disaster recovery plans, assess security compliance, and provide training for your IT staff and users. Progent can provide cost-effective remote consulting and troubleshooting to help you to resolve occasional problems, or Progent can provide full=service project management outsourcing to ensure you finish your hybrid deployment of Office 365 on schedule and on budget.
Besides Office 365, Microsoft offers other software packages that are part of the Office 365 product family. These include Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business Online, SharePoint Online, and Microsoft Project Online. All of these packages can be integrated with one another in cloud-centric or hybrid models. Progent's Microsoft-certified Office 365 configuration consultants can help you to create hybrid solutions that incorporate Office 365 products and on-premises resources by delivering services that include Windows Server expertise, Exchange expertise, Microsoft Teams planning and deployment consulting, Skype for Business management and troubleshooting, SQL Server integration and application development, SharePoint design and development, Office 365 integration and user training, Microsoft Project consulting, and Dynamics GP maintenance.
To assist you to manage your hybrid deployment, Progent offers System Center 2016 management consulting, System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) expertise, System Center Operations Manager (SCOM 2016) expertise, Configuration Manager support, System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) hybrid cloud management expertise,
Typical examples of remote and onsite consulting support provided by Progent to assist businesses to combine Office 365 with local Exchange deployments include:
Contact Progent for Hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online Solutions
- Clean email before moving them into Office 365 Exchange Online
- Configure authentication with Office 365 and local Domain Users
- Configure Exchange Online and allocate licenses
- Reconstruct profiles of Windows users
- Migrate Google Gmail accounts
- Perform manual mailbox migrations when required
- Add email accounts to iOS and Google Android smartphones and tablets
- Specify and implement Exchange Online Archiving
- Install on-premises or hybrid email filter gateways from other vendors
- Correct Office 365 sync problems with Active Directory clients and AD Global Security Groups
- Troubleshoot Outlook autodiscover issues
- Fix problems with MX and SPF records
- Define, configure, verify, and troubleshoot mail flow
- Resolve AD FS and AD Connect authentication issues
- Deploy PowerShell for management, repair, and email migration
- Work together with Microsoft support technicians to isolate and resolve issues at Microsoft's end (e.g., a misconfigured Connector)
- Troubleshoot Office 365 Message Encryption problems
- Update on-premises Exchange Servers to current versions of Exchange and upgrade equipment
- Train HR on procedure to disable accounts for terminated employees
If you need expertise with any facet of integrating your local Exchange environment with Office 365 Exchange Online, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.
Other Public Cloud Integration Solutions from Progent
The options available for public cloud products and services are expanding rapidly, making it hard for information system managers to determine the optimum cloud solution for their business. Progent has in-depth experience assisting companies ranging from startups to large enterprises to design, implement, and manage hybrid networks that combine multiple cloud services from leading public clouds. Progent's cloud integration consultants can assist you to understand the relative benefits and pitfalls of competing public cloud offerings and can help you build a cloud-centric or hybrid network that provides maximum business value.
Public cloud products supported by Progent's consultants include:
Progent's Microsoft Azure integration experts can assist you with any aspect of Azure cloud migration such as requirements definition, prerequisites assessment, solution design, pre-production testing, implementation, automated administration, performance tuning, license management, disaster recovery preparedness, security policy enforcement, and compliance assessment. Progent can assist you to configure and debug firewall appliances and VPN tunnels so your users can safely connect to Azure resources, and Progent's Microsoft-certified consulting experts can assist you integrate key Microsoft technologies to run in the cloud including Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL and Skype for Business. Progent can also assist your organization to create a hybrid ecosystem that transparently integrates physical datacenters with Azure services.
Progent's Microsoft Office and Office 365 experts can assist businesses of any size to integrate Office desktop and Microsoft Office 365 apps including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Access, Project and Publisher into a seamless solution that offers quick ROI and enables improved business results. Progent can help your company to integrate Microsoft Office or Office 365 applications with each other and with other core Microsoft technologies such as SharePoint, Exchange Server and SQL Server running on-premises or hosted in the cloud. Progent's consultants can also assist you to resolve compatibility issues with different releases of Microsoft Office and offers live online Microsoft Office and Office 365 instruction to individual users and groups.
Progent's Amazon AWS integration consultants can provide cost-effective online consulting to assist businesses to access Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud services such as Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) for virtual machine hosting, Amazon S3 for expandable cloud storage, and Glacier for value-priced archival storage. Progent can assist you with every phase of Amazon AWS migration and troubleshooting including requirements analysis, preparedness evaluation, system design and review, testing, configuration, administration, performance tuning, software license management, backup/restore mechanisms, and security strategies. Progent can provide advanced expertise with firewalls and VPN technology and can help you create all-cloud or hybrid environments that seamlessly integrate Amazon AWS resources. Progent can provide occasional consulting or Progent can provide project management outsourcing or co-sourcing services to help you move efficiently to the Amazon AWS cloud.
Amazon Marketplace Web Service is a library of APIs that allows Amazon sellers to improve the efficiency of their business processes by automating crucial sales functions including listings, orders, shipments, fulfillment, and finances. By leveraging Amazon's vast online ecosystem and automating their sales processes, vendors can expand their market, lower their cost of sales, accelerate reaction time to customers, and increase their profits. Progent's Amazon Marketplace Web Service developers can collaborate with your development team and provide application programming, workflow integration, project management support, and training so you can shorten development time and expedite your ROI.
Progent's Google Cloud Platform (GCP) integration experts offer cost-effective online and onsite consulting to assist businesses of any size to move any portion of their critical network resources to Google Cloud Platform (GCP). This can save management hassle and hardware costs and enable access to Google's state-of-the-art machine learning technology. Progent can assist your IT team with every phase of Google Cloud Platform migration and troubleshooting including needs analysis, preparedness evaluation, architectural design and review, pilot testing, deployment, centralized administration, performance optimization, software license management, disaster recovery mechanisms, and security and compliance.