Exchange Online is one of Microsoft's cloud-hosted applications included in the Office 365 family of products supported by Microsoft Azure. Exchange Online provides the advantages of reduced spending for hardware infrastructure, simplified management, on-demand scale, high-availability, and other advantages inherent with public clouds vs. local datacenters. Microsoft has designed Exchange Online to work transparently with local deployments of Exchange Server, enabling customers to create hybrid environments. Hybrid networks include local resources with cloud products and services to produce a unified network.
Common motives for integrating local Exchange deployments with Exchange Online include adherence to government or industry standards or corporate policies that prohibit specific types of mailboxes from being hosted off premises, throughput requirements associated with server virtualization or cloud latency, the desire for more administrative control, the need to accommodate certain home-grown or outdated systems, corporate culture, or recovery plans. In addition, hybrid deployments are often on the critical path for moving smoothly from an on-premises to an Office 365 Exchange Online cloud-based environment.
If you need a transitional hybrid Exchange Online implementation on the way to a migration to the cloud or you intend to build a long-term hybrid ecosystem, Progent's Microsoft-certified experts are available assist you with every stage of planning, integrating, managing, and debugging your hybrid solution. Progent's Exchange experts can deliver as-needed expertise to help you through stubborn integration issues and also offer comprehensive project management outsourcing or co-sourcing to make sure your hybrid Exchange Online implementation is completed on schedule and within.
Exchange Online hybrid configurations integrate local and Azure cloud resources
Progent's Exchange Server specialists have valuable experience teaming with Microsoft's Office 365 support staff to fix complex integration problems and Progent offers on-going support services to help you to maintain and enhance your hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online solution as your requirements evolve. Progent is a Microsoft Partner with 20 years of experience delivering organizations of all sizes high-level consulting support remotely, and Progent also offers onsite support in major metropolitan regions throughout the U.S. (See Progent's customer testimonials.)
Hybrid Integration Services for Office 365 Exchange Online
A hybrid deployment of Exchange Online and onsite Exchange supports a combination local and cloud mailboxes and offers other key capabilities including:
- Secure mail routing with a domain namespace and an Outlook on the Web address shared between local and Office 365 cloud networks
- A shared GAL with full recipient details
- A shared free/busy calendar
- Management of inbound and outbound mail travel across Office 365 cloud organizations organizations
- Simple transfer of mailboxes between local Exchange infrastructure and Office 365 Exchange Online including Exchange ActiveSync profile redirection
- Local Exchange Administration Center (EAC) for unified mailbox administration
- Multi-mailbox search across local and Exchange Online mailboxes
- Office 365 Archiving for on-premises and cloud-hosted mailboxes
- Seamless integration with on-premises and cloud-based implementations of Skype for Business and SharePoint server
- Support for Microsoft Edge Transport server to filter out junk mail and apply mail flow transport policies
- Single sign-on via Azure AD Connect, password synchronization, or Active Directory Federation Services
- AD Federation Services allows multi-factor authentication and complies with Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS)
Hybrid Active Directory FS provides multi-factor authentication and meets Federal Information Processing Standards
Exchange Online can be deployed under several hybrid models. Judicious analysis with Progent's network design experts can save you considerable time and money, since re-architecting a poorly conceived deployment can be difficult and distracting. Building an efficient hybrid Exchange Online ecosystem can be challenging. The degree of difficulty depends on the design of your existing email environment and the functionality you want to have. Major tasks are:
During the course of configuring a hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online environment, critical decisions have to be made about on-premises system architecture, mail flow, authentication, synchronization, security, performance, disaster recovery, mailbox retention rules, administration, delegation, mailbox size restrictions, mobile device support, integration with additional on-premises and cloud-hosted applications and services, and additional issues that impact the design and configuration of your hybrid Exchange Online deployment. Typically your on-premises Exchange environment will have to be modernized and tuned.
- Determine your essential requirements for your hybrid Exchange Online solution
- Assess your current network resources and modernize as necessary
- Design and validate your new network infrastructure
- Design a deployment plan and identify migration tools
- Identify local vs. cloud clients
- Choose appropriate cloud services and acquire licenses
- Add and test the domain of the cloud portal
- Change/Add DNS records
- Utilize IdFix to resolve on-premises Active Directory issues reported by Azure AD Connect and configure on-premises Active Directory and optionally AD FS
- Set up SSO and Directory Sync
- Assign licenses and create Accounts/mailboxes in Office 365
- Move mailboxes to PSTs and import them from PSTs to Office 365 mailboxes
- Integrate smartphones and tablets
- Migrate public folders
- Activate and Test services
- Patch and verify firewalls and proxy servers
- Train IT support staff and clients
Microsoft has developed a variety of useful tools to assist you to automate most of the steps required to build a hybrid environment for Exchange Online. These utilities include the Office 365 Hybrid Configuration Wizard, PowerShell, the Exchange admin center (EAC), the Office 365 Deployment Readiness Toolkit, and the IdFix Directory Synchronization utility. Realistically, many phases of configuring a hybrid Exchange Online solution are subject to technical missteps. Progent's Microsoft-certified experts have worked extensively with problems related to planning and rolling out hybrid Office 365 projects and can show you how to you follow leading practices to anticipate problems, overcome them efficiently, and protect your clients from downtime.
How Progent Can Assist You to Combine Office 365 with Your On-premises Resources
Progent's consultants can assist you in every step of migrating to Office 365 and integrating your local Exchange implementation with Exchange Online. Progent can assist you to define your strategic objectives, evaluate the readiness of your current infrastructure, plan the topology for a hybrid solution, create a deployment process, configure and verify a pilot system, install your hybrid network, centralize administrative functions, tune performance, manage licenses, provide consulting for business continuity plans, assess regulatory compliance, and deliver training for your network management team and users. Progent offers affordable remote consulting services to assist you to deal with occasional technical issues, or Progent can provide full=service project management outsourcing to help you finish your hybrid integration of Exchange Online on schedule and within budget.
Besides Office 365 Exchange Online, Microsoft offers other software packages that are part of the Office 365 product line. These include Skype for Business Online, SharePoint Online, and Microsoft Project Online. These packages can be deployed in cloud-centric or hybrid models. Progent's Microsoft-certified Office 365 configuration experts can help you to create hybrid solutions that combine Office 365 packages and on-premises infrastructure by providing services such as Windows Server consulting, Exchange expertise, Skype for Business system planning and troubleshooting, SQL Server configuration and software development, SharePoint design and development, Office 365 configuration and user training, Microsoft Project consulting, and Dynamics GP maintenance.
To assist you to administer your hybrid network, Progent offers System Center 2016 management consulting, System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) consulting, System Center Operations Manager (SCOM 2016) expertise, Configuration Manager support, Virtual Machine Manager hybrid cloud management expertise,
Typical samples of remote and on-premises consulting support offered by Progent's experts to assist businesses to integrate Office 365 with on-premises Exchange deployments include:
Contact Progent for Hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online Expertise
- Clean folders before exporting them into Exchange Online
- Configure authentication with Office 365 and local Domain Users
- Configure Office 365 and assign licenses
- Reconstruct profiles of Windows clients
- Move Gmail accounts
- Perform manual mailbox exports when necessary
- Add email accounts to iOS and Android smartphones and tablets
- Define and implement Exchange Online Archiving
- Set up local or hybrid spam filter gateways from third-party vendors
- Correct Exchange Online synchronization issues with AD Users and Active Directory Global Security Groups
- Resolve Outlook autodiscover problems
- Fix problems related to .PST and .OST files
- Define, implement, verify, and troubleshoot mail flow
- Troubleshoot Active Directory Federation Services and AD Connect authentication issues
- Deploy PowerShell for management, repair, and email migration
- Work together with Microsoft staff to identify and resolve issues at Microsoft's end (for example, a corrupted Connector)
- Debug message encryption issues
- Update on-premises Exchange Servers to current versions of Exchange and upgrade equipment
- Educate HR on steps to disable email accounts for departed employees
If you need help with any facet of integrating your on-premises Exchange environment with Office 365, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.
Additional Cloud Integration Services from Progent
The choices offered for public cloud products and services are expanding rapidly, making it difficult for IT managers to select the optimum cloud solution for their business. Progent has worked extensively assisting businesses of all sizes to design, deploy, and maintain hybrid environments that combine multiple cloud products and services from major public clouds. Progent's cloud integration experts can assist you to assess the comparative advantages and shortcomings of different public cloud offerings and can help you create a cloud-based or hybrid ecosystem that delivers maximum competitive value.
Public cloud products and services supported by Progent's consultants include:
Progent's Microsoft Azure planning and integration experts can help you with every stage of Microsoft Azure integration including needs analysis, readiness assessment, system architecture, pre-production testing, implementation, centralized management, performance optimization, license controls, disaster recovery preparedness, security policy enforcement, and compliance assessment. Progent can help your IT staff to configure and troubleshoot firewall appliances and VPN tunnels so your clients can safely access to Azure services, and Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants can help you integrate key Microsoft platforms to work in Azure including Microsoft Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server and Skype for Business. Progent can also help your organization to set up a hybrid ecosystem that seamlessly integrates physical datacenters with Azure services.
Progent's Microsoft Office and Office 365 experts can help companies of any size to integrate Microsoft Office desktop and Microsoft Office 365 applications such as Office Excel, Office Word, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Access, Project and OneNote into a cohesive solution that offers fast ROI and enables improved business results. Progent can assist your company to interface Office or Office 365 applications with each other and with other key Microsoft platforms including SharePoint, Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft SQL Server running on-premises or in the cloud. Progent's consultants can also help you to fix compatibility issues between various versions of Microsoft Office desktop and offers live online Office and Office 365 instruction to individual users and teams.
Progent's Amazon AWS integration consultants can provide affordable online support to help businesses to integrate Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud services including Amazon EC2 for virtual machine hosting, Amazon S3 for scalable cloud storage, and Glacier for value-priced long-term archiving. Progent can assist your IT team with every phase of Amazon AWS integration including needs analysis, readiness evaluation, architectural design and review, pilot testing, configuration, administration, performance tuning, licensing management, disaster recovery mechanisms, and security strategies. Progent offers advanced expertise with firewall configuration and VPN technology and can help you create all-cloud or hybrid environments that seamlessly incorporate Amazon AWS cloud services. Progent offers as-needed support or Progent can provide project management outsourcing or co-sourcing to help you move smoothly to the Amazon AWS platform.
Amazon Marketplace Web Service (Amazon MWS) is an integrated library of APIs that allows Amazon sellers to improve the efficiency of their business processes by automating crucial sales activities including listings, orders, payments, inbound and outbound fulfillment, and reports. By leveraging Amazon's extensive online selling environment and automating their sales processes, vendors can expand their market, reduce their cost of sales, improve response time to customers, and increase their profits. Progent's Amazon Marketplace Web Service consultants can collaborate with your development staff and provide application programming, workflow integration, project management support, and training to help you cut development time and costs and expedite your ROI.
Progent's Google Cloud Platform integration consultants offer affordable remote and onsite support to assist businesses of any size to migrate any part of their critical network infrastructure to Google Cloud Platform (GCP). This can save time and equipment costs and allow the use of Google's cutting edge AI and machine learning tools. Progent can assist you with every phase of Google Cloud Platform integration including requirements analysis, preparedness assessment, architectural design and review, testing, configuration, centralized administration, performance optimization, software license management, disaster recovery mechanisms, and security and compliance.