Exchange Online is one of Microsoft's cloud-hosted applications in the Microsoft 365 product line supported by Azure. Exchange Online offers the advantages of lower investment in physical infrastructure, easier management, dynamic capacity, data protection, plus other benefits inherent with public clouds vs. on-premises datacenters. Microsoft has engineered Exchange Online to operate seamlessly with on-premises implementations of Exchange, enabling customers to build hybrid information systems. Hybrid networks combine on-premises servers and storage with cloud services to produce a cohesive network.
Common reasons for integrating local Exchange deployments with Microsoft 365 Exchange Online are compliance with government or industry mandates or business policies that prohibit specific types of mailboxes from being hosted off premises, performance issues involving server virtualization or cloud latency, the need for more management control, the ability to support various non-standard or outdated systems, company culture, or disaster recovery plans. Also, hybrid deployments are commonly on the critical path for migrating safely from a local to a Microsoft 365 Exchange Online cloud-centric environment.
Whether you need a temporary hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online implementation as part of a full move to Azure or you intend to build a robust hybrid network model, Progent's Microsoft-certified consulting team can assist you with any facet of designing, configuring, administering, and debugging your hybrid solution. Progent's Exchange specialists can deliver as-needed assistance to help resolve challenging technical bottlenecks and also can provide end-to-end project management outsourcing to make sure your hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online initiative is performed on schedule and on budget.
Microsoft 365 Exchange Online hybrid deployments integrate on-premises and Azure cloud networks
Progent's Exchange consultants have valuable experience working with the Microsoft 365 support staff to resolve complex technical problems and Progent can provide on-going support services to help your business to maintain and refine your hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online ecosystem as your needs evolve. Progent has 20 years of background providing organizations of all sizes high-level consulting support online, and Progent can also provide onsite expertise in major metropolitan regions throughout the U.S. (Refer to Progent's customer testimonials.)
Hybrid Solutions for Exchange Online
A hybrid implementation of Exchange Online and onsite Exchange allows you to have a combination local and cloud-hosted mailboxes and offers other important capabilities including:
- Secure mail routing with a domain namespace and an Outlook on the Web address shared between on-premises and Microsoft 365 cloud networks
- A shared global address list (GAL) with full recipient information
- A shared free/busy calendar
- Management of inbound and outbound mail travel across Microsoft 365 organizations
- Easy transfer of mailboxes between local Exchange infrastructure and Exchange Online including Exchange ActiveSync profile redirection
- Local Exchange Administration Center (EAC) for centralized mailbox management
- Multi-mailbox search on local and Exchange Online mailboxes
- Exchange Online Archiving for local and Microsoft 365 mailboxes
- Seamless integration with on-premises and/or cloud-hosted deployments of Skype for Business and SharePoint
- Support for Microsoft Edge Transport server to filter out junk mail and enforce mail flow transport rules
- Single sign-on via Azure AD Connect, password synchronization, or Active Directory Federation Services
- Active Directory FS integration allows multi-factor authentication and meets FIPS
Hybrid AD Federation Services offers multi-factor authentication and meets Federal Information Processing Standards
Microsoft 365 Exchange Online supports a variety of hybrid models. Careful analysis with Progent's network design experts can save considerable time and money, since re-structuring an inappropriate deployment can be complex and distracting. Building an optimal hybrid Microsoft 365 solution can be challenging. The degree of difficulty depends on the design of your existing email environment and the functionality you hope to have. Basic steps include:
During the course of implementing a hybrid Exchange Online environment, critical decisions must made about local system architecture, mail flow, authentication, synchronization, compliance, latency, disaster recovery, archive rules, administration, delegation, size limits, mobile device registration, integration with other onsite and cloud-hosted apps, and additional areas that impact the architecture and implementation of your hybrid Microsoft 365 deployment. Typically your on-premises Exchange installation will have to be modernized and tuned.
- Determine your strategic requirements for your hybrid Microsoft 365 Exchange Online solution
- Evaluate your existing infrastructure and update as necessary
- Plan and test your new network infrastructure
- Create an implementation plan and select migration technologies
- Identify local vs. Microsoft 365 users
- Select appropriate Microsoft 365 services and purchase subscriptions
- Add and verify the domain of the Microsoft 365 portal
- Change/Add DNS records
- Use IdFix to clean up on-premises Active Directory issues found by Azure AD Connect and configure on-premises Active Directory and optionally AD FS
- Set up single sign-on and Directory Sync
- Assign licenses and create Accounts/mailboxes in Microsoft 365
- Export mailboxes to PSTs and import them from PSTs to Microsoft 365 Exchange Online mailboxes
- Integrate smartphones and tablets
- Move public folders
- Activate and Test services
- Tune performance
- Update and verify firewalls and proxy servers
- Educate network support team and users
Microsoft offers an assortment of useful tools to help you to simplify most of the tasks required to create a hybrid network for Exchange Online. These tools include the Microsoft 365 Hybrid Configuration Wizard, Windows PowerShell, the Exchange admin center (EAC), the Microsoft 365 Deployment Readiness tool, and the IdFix tool. In practice, many parts of setting up a hybrid Exchange Online deployment are subject to technical hiccups. Progent's Microsoft-certified experts have worked extensively with problems related to designing and rolling out hybrid Exchange Online deployments and can show you how to you follow best practices to anticipate common issues, resolve them efficiently, and protect your clients from service disruptions.
How Progent Can Help You to Integrate Microsoft 365 Exchange Online with Your On-premises Network
Progent can assist you in every phase of migrating to Microsoft 365 Exchange Online and integrating your on-premises Exchange implementation with Exchange Online. Progent can assist you to define your strategic goals, assess the suitability of your existing network infrastructure, design the topology for a hybrid solution, create a deployment process, set up and verify a pilot deployment, install your hybrid network, automate management functions, optimize performance, manage licenses, provide expertise for disaster recovery plans, validate regulatory compliance, and deliver training for your network management team and clients. Progent offers affordable remote consulting and troubleshooting to help you to resolve stubborn problems, or Progent can provide comprehensive project management outsourcing services to ensure you finish your hybrid deployment of Exchange Online on schedule and on budget.
Besides Microsoft 365, Microsoft offers other applications that are part of the Microsoft 365 family. Included among these are Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business Online, SharePoint Online, and Project Online. These packages can be integrated with one another in cloud-centric or hybrid models. Progent's Microsoft-certified Microsoft 365 configuration experts can help you to build hybrid solutions that combine Microsoft 365 packages and local infrastructure by delivering advanced services that include Windows Server consulting, Exchange expertise, Microsoft Teams migration consulting, Skype for Business management and troubleshooting, SQL Server configuration and development, SharePoint design and integration, Microsoft 365 integration and user training, Microsoft Project consulting, and Dynamics GP support.
To help you to manage your hybrid deployment, Progent offers System Center 2016 deployment help, System Center Data Protection Manager consulting, SCOM support, System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) consulting, System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) hybrid cloud management expertise,
Common examples of online and on-premises consulting services offered by Progent's experts to assist organizations to combine Exchange Online with on-premises Exchange deployments include:
Contact Progent for Hybrid Exchange Online Solutions
- Tidy up folders before moving them into Microsoft 365 Exchange Online
- Configure authentication with Microsoft 365 and local Domain Users
- Configure Microsoft 365 Exchange Online and allocate purchased licenses
- Rebuild profiles of Windows users
- Move Google Gmail accounts
- Perform manual mailbox exports as necessary
- Register email accounts to iOS and Android devices
- Plan and implement Microsoft 365 archival storage
- Configure local or hybrid email filter gateways from other vendors
- Correct Exchange Online sync problems with Active Directory clients and Active Directory Global Security Groups
- Troubleshoot Outlook autodiscover issues
- Fix issues with MX and SPF records
- Define, implement, verify, and rectify mail flow
- Troubleshoot AD FS and AD Connect authentication issues
- Deploy PowerShell for management, diagnostics, and email migration
- Work with Microsoft staff to isolate and repair issues at Microsoft's end (e.g., a corrupted Connector)
- Troubleshoot message encryption problems
- Update on-premises Exchange Servers to current versions of Exchange and upgrade equipment
- Educate HR on procedure to delete accounts for departed workers
If you need help with any aspect of integrating your on-premises Exchange environment with Microsoft 365, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.
Additional Public Cloud Integration Services from Progent
The choices offered for public cloud products and services are expanding rapidly, making it a serious challenge for IT managers to determine the right cloud strategy for their organization. Progent has in-depth experience helping businesses ranging from startups to large enterprises to plan, deploy, and maintain hybrid environments that combine multiple cloud services from major public cloud providers. Progent's cloud integration consultants can help you to evaluate the comparative advantages and pitfalls of competing public cloud offerings and can show you how to create a cloud-based or hybrid network that provides maximum business value.
Public cloud products and services supported by Progent include:
Progent's Azure cloud planning and integration consultants can assist you with any phase of Microsoft Azure migration including requirements definition, readiness evaluation, solution architecture, pilot testing, deployment, centralized administration, performance tuning, license controls, disaster recovery strategies, security planning, and regulatory compliance validation. Progent can help you to set up and troubleshoot firewalls and VPN tunnels so your users can safely connect to Azure resources, and Progent's Microsoft-certified consulting experts can assist you integrate key Microsoft platforms to work in the cloud including Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server and Skype for Business. Progent can also help you to set up a hybrid environment that seamlessly combines on-premises datacenters with Azure resources.
Progent's certified Microsoft Office and Microsoft 365 consultants can help companies of any size to incorporate Office desktop and Microsoft 365 apps including Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Visio and Publisher into a cohesive solution that offers fast return on investment and promotes improved business results. Progent can help you to integrate Microsoft Office or Microsoft 365 apps with each other and with additional key Microsoft platforms including SharePoint Server, Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft SQL Server deployed on-premises or hosted in the cloud. Progent's consultants can also assist you to resolve compatibility problems with different versions of Microsoft Office and offers live online Microsoft Office and Microsoft 365 instruction to individuals and teams.
Progent's Amazon AWS cloud planning and integration consultants can provide cost-effective online support to assist companies of any size to integrate Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud services such as Amazon EC2 for virtual server hosting, Amazon S3 for scalable high-performance storage, and Amazon Glacier for low-cost archival storage. Progent can assist your IT team with every aspect of Amazon AWS migration and troubleshooting including needs analysis, preparedness assessment, architectural design, pilot testing, configuration, administration, performance tuning, licensing management, backup/restore mechanisms, and security and compliance. Progent can provide advanced expertise with firewalls and VPN connections and can help you deploy cloud-based or hybrid networking models that efficiently integrate Amazon AWS resources. Progent offers occasional support or Progent can deliver comprehensive project management outsourcing to help you move smoothly to the Amazon AWS platform.
Amazon Marketplace Web Service is a library of APIs that allows Amazon sellers to improve the efficiency of their operations by automating key sales functions such as listings, orders, shipments, inbound and outbound fulfillment, and finances. By leveraging Amazon's extensive online ecosystem and automating their sales, merchants can broaden their market, lower their operating costs, accelerate reaction time to customers, and add to their bottom line. Progent's Amazon Marketplace Web Service developers can work with your development team and provide application programming, workflow integration, project management support, and mentoring to help you shorten development time and speed up your return on investment.
Progent's Google Cloud Platform (GCP) planning and integration consultants offer cost-effective remote and onsite support to help organizations to move all or part of their critical network resources to Google Cloud Platform (GCP). This can save time and equipment expense and enable the use of Google's cutting edge AI and machine learning technology. Progent can help you with every phase of Google Cloud Platform migration and troubleshooting including requirements analysis, readiness evaluation, system design and review, testing, configuration, administration, performance optimization, software license management, disaster recovery mechanisms, and security and compliance.