Microsoft Exchange Online is one of Microsoft's cloud-based applications included in the Office 365 family of products supported by Microsoft Azure. Exchange Online offers the benefits of reduced investment in hardware infrastructure, simplified administration, on-demand capacity, high-availability, and other advantages associated with public clouds instead of local IT facilities. Microsoft has designed Exchange Online to work transparently with local implementations of Exchange, allowing you to build hybrid information systems. Hybrid environments combine on-premises servers and storage with cloud-based products and services to produce a cohesive IT solution.
Common motives for combining on-premise Exchange installations with Office 365 Exchange Online are compliance with government or industry mandates or internal policies that prevent specific types of mailboxes from being moved off site, throughput requirements related to virtualization or cloud latency, the desire for more management control, the need to accommodate certain home-grown or outdated systems, corporate culture, or recovery strategies. In addition, hybrid systems are commonly on the critical path for moving smoothly from an on-premises to an Exchange Online cloud-based environment.
If you need a temporary hybrid Exchange Online deployment on the way to a migration to Azure or you want to create a long-term hybrid ecosystem, Progent's Microsoft-certified consulting team are available assist you with every stage of designing, integrating, administering, and troubleshooting your hybrid system. Progent's Exchange experts offer occasional expertise to help resolve challenging integration issues and also offer end-to-end project management outsourcing or co-sourcing to ensure your hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online initiative is completed on time and on budget.
Exchange Online hybrid configurations span local and cloud resources
Progent's Exchange Server specialists have valuable experience working with Microsoft's Office 365 support personnel to resolve complicated technical problems and Progent offers as-needed support services to assist your business to maintain and enhance your hybrid Exchange Online ecosystem as your requirements evolve. Progent is a Microsoft Partner with 20 years of experience delivering companies of all sizes high-level consulting services online, and Progent can also provide onsite expertise in metro areas throughout the U.S. (Refer to Progent's client testimonials.)
Hybrid Solutions for Exchange Online
A hybrid deployment of Office 365 Exchange Online and on-premises Exchange allows you to have a mix of local and cloud-hosted mailboxes and brings other key features such as:
- Secure mail routing with a domain namespace and an Outlook Web address shared between local and Office 365 organizations
- A shared GAL with complete recipient information
- A shared free/busy calendar
- Control of inbound and outbound mail flow across Office 365 cloud networks organizations
- Simple movement of mailboxes between local Exchange and Exchange Online including automatic Exchange ActiveSync profile redirection
- On-premises Exchange Administration Center for unified mailbox management
- Multi-mailbox search across local and Exchange Online mailboxes
- Exchange Online Archiving for on-premises and Office 365 mailboxes
- Transparent integration with local and cloud-based implementations of Skype for Business and SharePoint
- Support for Microsoft Edge Transport server to filter out spam and apply mail flow transport policies
- Single sign-on (SSO) via Azure Active Directory Connect, password sync, or AD Federation Services
- AD Federation Services integration allows multi-factor authentication and meets Federal Information Processing Standards
Hybrid Active Directory Federation Services provides multi-factor authentication and meets FIPS
Office 365 Exchange Online supports several hybrid architectures. Judicious planning with Progent's network design consultants can save considerable time and expense, since re-structuring a poorly conceived implementation can be complex and distracting. Building an optimal hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online ecosystem can be challenging. The complexity depends on the makeup of your current email environment and the functionality you intend to have. Basic steps are:
Within the course of configuring a hybrid Exchange Online deployment, critical decisions must made about on-premises network architecture, mail flow, authentication, synchronization, security, performance, backup and recovery, archive policies, administration, delegation, size limits, mobile device support, integration with additional onsite and cloud-hosted apps, and other issues that affect the design and configuration of your hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online solution. Typically your on-premises Exchange system will need to be brought up to date.
- Determine your essential requirements for your hybrid Office 365 Exchange Online solution
- Evaluate your existing network resources and update as necessary
- Plan and validate your new network architecture
- Create an implementation process and select migration technologies
- Identify on-premises vs. cloud users
- Select appropriate cloud services and purchase subscriptions
- Add and test the domain of the cloud portal
- Update DNS records
- Use IdFix to clean up on-premises AD errors found by AD Connect and configure on-premises Active Directory and optionally AD FS
- Configure single sign-on and Directory Sync
- Assign licenses and create Accounts/mailboxes in Office 365
- Move mailboxes to PSTs and move them from PSTs to Office 365 Exchange Online mailboxes
- Integrate smartphones and tablets
- Move public folders
- Verify services
- Patch and verify firewalls and proxy servers
- Educate network management team and users
Microsoft provides a variety of useful tools to assist you to streamline most of the tasks required to create a hybrid network for Office 365. These include the Hybrid Configuration Wizard (HCW), PowerShell, the Exchange admin center, the Office 365 Deployment Readiness Toolkit, and the IdFix utility. Realistically, many parts of configuring a hybrid Office 365 deployment are subject to technical hiccups. Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants have dealt extensively with issues associated with designing and rolling out hybrid Office 365 projects and can show you how to you follow leading practices to avoid common issues, resolve them quickly, and shield your clients from downtime.
How Progent Can Help You to Combine Exchange Online with Your Local Environment
Progent's consultants can help you in every phase of migrating to Microsoft Office 365 Exchange Online and integrating your local Exchange implementation with cloud-hosted Exchange. Progent can assist you to define your operational objectives, evaluate the suitability of your current network infrastructure, plan the topology for a hybrid environment, devise a deployment process, set up and verify a pilot system, configure your hybrid system, centralize management tasks, tune performance, manage licenses, provide consulting for business continuity plans, validate regulatory compliance, and deliver training for your IT staff and clients. Progent offers affordable remote consulting services to assist you to resolve occasional technical issues, or Progent can provide comprehensive project management outsourcing services to help you complete your hybrid integration of Exchange Online on schedule and on budget.
In addition to Exchange Online, Microsoft offers other applications that are part of the Office 365 family. Included among these are Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business Online, SharePoint Online, and Project Online. These applications can be deployed in cloud-based or hybrid implementations. Progent's Microsoft-certified Office 365 integration experts can help you to create hybrid solutions that incorporate Office 365 products and local infrastructure by delivering advanced services such as Windows Server consulting, Exchange expertise, Microsoft Teams integration consulting, Skype for Business maintenance and debugging, SQL Server configuration and application development, SharePoint design and development, Office 365 integration and training, Microsoft Project expertise, and Dynamics GP support.
To help you to administer your hybrid deployment, Progent can provide System Center 2016 management consulting, System Center Data Protection Manager expertise, System Center Operations Manager (SCOM 2016) expertise, Configuration Manager consulting, Virtual Machine Manager hybrid cloud management expertise,
Common samples of online and onsite consulting support offered by Progent's experts to help organizations to integrate Office 365 with local Exchange deployments include:
Contact Progent for Hybrid Office 365 Solutions
- Clean folders before moving them into Exchange Online
- Configure authentication with Office 365 and local Domain Users
- Configure Office 365 and allocate purchased licenses
- Reconstruct profiles of Windows clients
- Migrate Google Gmail accounts
- Carry out manual mailbox exports when necessary
- Register accounts to iOS and Android devices
- Define and implement Office 365 Exchange Online archival storage
- Install local or hybrid email filter appliances from other vendors
- Fix Exchange Online synchronization problems with Active Directory Users and Active Directory Global Security Groups
- Resolve Outlook autodiscover problems
- Resolve problems related to MX and SPF records
- Define, implement, test, and troubleshoot mail flow
- Resolve AD FS and AD Connect authentication problems
- Utilize PowerShell scripts for management, repair, and migration
- Work with Microsoft staff to identify and repair issues at Microsoft's end (e.g., a misconfigured Connector)
- Debug message encryption issues
- Update on-premises Exchange Servers to current versions of Exchange and upgrade equipment
- Train Human Resources on steps to disable accounts for departed employees
If you need help with any facet of interfacing your on-premises Exchange environment with Office 365, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.
Additional Cloud Integration Services from Progent
The options offered for public cloud products and services are increasing rapidly, making it difficult for IT managers to determine the right cloud solution for their business. Progent has worked extensively helping businesses of all sizes to plan, implement, and manage hybrid environments that integrate multiple cloud products and services from leading public cloud providers. Progent's cloud integration consultants can assist you to evaluate the comparative benefits and pitfalls of competing public cloud offerings and can show you how to create a cloud-centric or hybrid network that delivers maximum business value.
Public cloud products and services supported by Progent include:
Progent's Azure planning and integration experts can assist you with every aspect of Microsoft Azure integration such as requirements analysis, prerequisites evaluation, system architecture, pre-production testing, deployment, automated management, performance optimization, software license management, disaster recovery strategies, security planning, and compliance validation. Progent can help your IT staff to set up and debug firewall appliances and VPN tunnels so your clients can safely connect to Azure-based resources, and Progent's Microsoft-certified consulting experts can help you set up critical Microsoft platforms to run in the cloud including Windows Server, Exchange, SQL and SharePoint. Progent can also help your organization to set up a hybrid ecosystem that seamlessly combines physical datacenters with Azure resources.
Progent's certified Microsoft Office and Office 365 consultants can help businesses of any size to incorporate Microsoft Office desktop and Office 365 apps such as Excel, Office Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Microsoft Access, Project and Publisher into a seamless productivity solution that offers quick ROI and promotes better business outcomes. Progent can help you to integrate Microsoft Office or Office 365 apps with one another and with other key Microsoft technologies such as SharePoint, Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft SQL Server deployed locally or in the cloud. Progent's consultants can also help you to fix compatibility problems between various releases of Office desktop and offers live online Microsoft Office and Office 365 instruction to individual users and teams.
Progent's Amazon AWS cloud planning and integration consultants offer cost-effective remote support to help businesses to integrate Amazon AWS cloud services including Amazon EC2 for virtual machine hosting, Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) for expandable cloud storage, and Amazon Glacier for low-cost long-term archiving. Progent can assist you with every aspect of Amazon AWS integration including needs analysis, preparedness evaluation, architectural design and review, testing, deployment, centralized administration, performance optimization, licensing management, disaster recovery mechanisms, and security. Progent can provide advanced expertise with firewalls and VPN technology and can help you deploy all-cloud or hybrid networking models that seamlessly integrate Amazon AWS services. Progent offers as-needed expertise or Progent can deliver comprehensive project management outsourcing to help you move efficiently to the Amazon AWS cloud platform.
Amazon Marketplace Web Service (Amazon MWS) is a collection of APIs that enables Amazon sellers to improve the efficiency of their operations by automating crucial sales functions including listings, orders, shipments, inbound and outbound fulfillment, and finances. By leveraging Amazon's extensive online selling environment and automating their sales, merchants can broaden their reach, reduce their operating costs, accelerate response time to customers, and add to their profits. Progent's Amazon Marketplace Web Service developers can collaborate with your development team and provide programming, workflow integration, project management support, and mentoring so you can cut development time and expedite your ROI.
Progent's Google Cloud Platform planning and integration experts offer cost-effective remote and on-premises consulting to help businesses to move any portion of their core IT infrastructure to Google Cloud Platform (GCP). This can save time and equipment expense and enable the use of Google's cutting edge AI and machine learning technology. Progent can assist you with every aspect of Google Cloud Platform migration and troubleshooting including requirements analysis, preparedness evaluation, architectural design, pilot testing, configuration, centralized administration, performance tuning, software license management, disaster recovery mechanisms, and security and compliance.