Windows Server 2003
The Windows Server 2003 operating system provides a reliable, enterprise-class networking platform that brings significant enhancements over the earlier Windows 2K Server. These added features strengthen the foundation of availability, expandability and security offered by Windows 2000, making Microsoft Windows 2003 Server faster, more dependable, and more secure than previous releases of Microsoft Windows server operating system.
The Windows Server 2003 family comprises four editions:
Features of Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, is a reliable server OS for the common needs of companies of all sizes, providing an effective answer for data and peripheral sharing, protected Internet connectivity, centralized desktop application management, and a powerful connected environment among workers, partners, and clients.
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, is the operating system of choice for big enterprises and for small and mid-size companies to create, deliver, and secure reliable applications, Web commerce, and network architecture.
- Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition, is best suited for business-critical applications that demand high levels of expandability and availability.
- Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, is optimized for serving web pages, while maintaining the core functions that provide enhanced dependability, manageability, and protection.
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 offers a wealth of productive features and improved functionality over Windows 2000 Server. Improvements include:
How Progent Can Deliver Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Help
- Active Directory performance and flexibility is faster and more dependable over unreliable wide area network links because of faster synchronization and replication plus storing of credentials in branch office domain controllers.
- Improvements to the Distributed File System (DFS) and Encrypting File System enable highly functional, flexible file access and storage.
- Advanced Windows Management Instrumentation providers and command-line utilities for server tasks give administrators exceptional granular control.
- To make file storage and backup simpler, Windows Server 2003 incorporates the Volume Shadow Copy Service, which provides time-specific backups of networked shares. Users can easily recover previous versions of their files through the familiar Windows Explorer utility by simply right-clicking on a name or icon.
- Windows Server 2003 is ideal for hosting XML-based Web services as a result of native support of .NET and XML with the incorporation of the .NET Framework.
- Important networking enhancements in MS Windows Server 2003 include Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6), Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet, and Internet Protocol Security over Network Address Translation.
- Common Language Runtime safeguards systems from malicious or badly written software.
- Credential Management provides a secure depository of user credentials, including passwords and public key infrastructure (X.509) certificates. This allows a single sign-on experience for users, including roaming ones.
- The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the technique utilized to hold encrypted files on NTFS volumes. Encrypted files and folders are easy to work with because they appear just the same as any other file: transparent to authorized users but unavailable to anyone else. The Encrypting File System (EFS) is especially beneficial for mobile clients who may face a greater danger of computer loss or theft.
- Enhanced compatibility with VPN technologies, such as a remote access server that provides both dial-up and virtual private network links, offering flexibility and security for remote connectivity.
- 802.1x wireless support provides security and speed enhancements for wireless local area networks. These include automatic key management and user authentication prior to network access. Prompt recovery practically does away with packet corruption and interruption over high-latency wireless links.
- Headless server provides the capability to install and manage a computer without a monitor, VGA display adaptor, keyboard, or mouse. Compatibility with management controllers and ports allows servers to be controlled even when a computer has died.
- Auto-configuration for multiple networks provides the mobile computer client transparent operations on both office and home environments without being required to manually redo TCP/IP settings.
- Voice over IP (VoIP) enhances Remote Assistance by supporting a voice session at the time the Remote Help Connection is initiated.
The sophistication and configuration requirements of MS Windows Server 2003 calls for an IT expert with hands-on background and wide knowledge in planning and deploying viable, comprehensive information network solutions. The knowledge and experience of Progent's Microsoft-Premier consulting team, with an average of over a decade of consulting in Microsoft integration, ensures you success in selecting the edition and setup of Windows Server 2003 that best aligns with your company goals. Progent can help you with designing, deploying, supporting and maintaining sophisticated IT solutions based on Windows Server 2003.
Microsoft has stopped providing support for Windows Server 2003. It is therefore prudent to think about upgrading to an up-to-date release of Windows Server. If you are interested in transitioning to Windows Server 2012 R2, Progent offers cost-effective Windows Server 2012 R2 planning and configuration support services to make sure your project completes on time and within your budget. If you are considering creating a hybrid architecture that integrates on-premises systems with cloud-based services like those available on Microsoft Azure, Progent can help you evaluate and deploy Windows Server 2016, which is powered by major elements of Microsoft Azure technology and is designed to support hybrid environments. Refer to Progent's Windows Server 2016 hybrid integration.
Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Technology
For companies of any size throughout the U.S., Progent's Microsoft-certified consultants offer affordable online computer assistance and IT consulting services for the whole array of Microsoft .NET Enterprise Servers. Progent offers Windows Server 2019 upgrade consulting, Windows Server 2016 hybrid cloud integration, Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 planning and deployment assistance, Windows 2008 Server consulting, and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 maintenance. Progent's migration, integration, optimization, and support services include network architecture, deployment, and management help for
project management and documentation, local and remote
IT support and network repair,
Help Desk Call Center Services, comprehensive
security expertise, full-service
outsourcing, Exchange hosting and management, and ProSight Virtual Hosting.
Progent in addition offers a broad array of online PC desktop services including Windows 10 migration assistance, Windows 8.1 consulting expertise, Windows 7 technical support, preparing for to 64-bit computing, Microsoft Office desktop and Office 365 collaboration support, and automating PC desktop image creation.
In case your business needs immediate remote support from a certified consultant, visit Progent's Emergency Remote Network Support.
Learn more about Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Servers.
In order to contact Progent about engineering assistance for Microsoft Windows Server integration, phone 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.