MS Windows Server 2003
The Windows Server 2003 operating system offers a robust, enterprise-class computing platform that brings significant enhancements over its predecessor, Microsoft Windows 2000 Server. These added features build on the core of reliability, scalability and protection offered by Microsoft Windows 2K Server, making Windows Server 2003 more efficient, more dependable, and more protected than previous releases of Windows server operating system.
The Windows Server 2003 product line is available in four editions:
Benefits of Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, is a reliable server platform for the everyday needs of businesses of all sizes, providing an efficient solution for file and printer sharing, secure Internet connectivity, centralized PC software deployment, and a rich connected network for employees, partners, and clients.
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, is the OS of choice for big enterprises and for small and mid-size companies to develop, deploy, and secure robust applications, web-based services, and infrastructure.
- Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition, is engineered for business-critical applications that require excellent scalability and fault tolerance.
- Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, is intended for hosting web sites, while retaining the core features that support advanced dependability, manageability, and security.
Windows Server 2003 offers a wealth of productive capabilities and enhanced functionality over Windows Server 2K. Highlights include:
How Progent Can Provide Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Assistance
- Active Directory performance and versatility is faster and more robust over marginal WAN connections thanks to faster synchronization and replication plus storing of credentials in remote office domain controllers.
- Improvements to the Distributed File System (DFS) and Encrypting File System enable powerful, versatile file sharing and storage.
- Enhanced Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) providers and command-line utilities for server jobs offers IT managers exceptional granular control.
- To make storage and backup easier, MS Windows Server 2003 incorporates the Volume Shadow Copy Service, which provides time-specific copies of networked shares. Clients can easily access previous versions of their work through the Windows Explorer by right-clicking on a name or icon.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 is ideal for supporting XML-based Web services thanks to native compatibility with Microsoft .NET and EXtensible Markup Language with the incorporation of the .NET Framework.
- Important networking enhancements in MS Windows Server 2003 include Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6), Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPoE), and Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) over Network Address Translation (NAT).
- Common Language Runtime (CLR) protects systems from malicious or badly designed software.
- Credential Management provides a safe depository of user credentials, such as passwords and public key infrastructure certificates. This provides a single sign-on protocol for users, even roaming users.
- The Encrypting File System is the technique utilized to hold encrypted files on NTFS volumes. Encrypted files are easy to use as they look exactly the same as any other file: transparent to authorized users but unavailable to others. The Encrypting File System (EFS) is particularly advantageous for traveling clients who may work under a higher danger of computer theft.
- Advanced support for VPN environments, including a remote access server that supports both dial-up and VPN links, providing versatility and protection for remote access.
- 802.1x wireless support provides protection and speed improvements for wireless LANs. Among these are automatic key management and user authentication/authorization in advance of LAN access. Prompt recovery practically does away with packet corruption and interruption over slow wireless network connections.
- Headless server allows the capability to install and manage a computer without a monitor, display adapter, keyboard, or mouse. Compatibility with management controllers and ports allows servers to be managed even when a computer has died.
- Auto-configuration for a variety of networks provides the mobile PC client seamless functionality on both office and home networks without being required to manually reconfigure TCP/IP configurations.
- Voice over IP (VoIP) improves Remote Assistance by supporting a voice session when the Remote Help Connection is established.
The sophistication and integration demands of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 calls for an IT consultant with real-world background and wide knowledge in planning and building viable, comprehensive information technology solutions. The skill of Progent's Microsoft-Certified consulting team, with an average of over 10 years of consulting in Microsoft integration, assures you results in identifying the edition and setup of Windows Server 2003 that best aligns with your company goals. Progent can help you with planning, deploying, supporting and maintaining advanced IT solutions powered by Windows Server 2003.
Microsoft has terminated support for Windows Server 2003. This makes it prudent to consider upgrading to a current release of Windows Server. If you are considering moving up to Windows Server 2012 R2, Progent offers expert Windows Server 2012 R2 migration consulting services to ensure your project finishes on time and within your budget. If you are planning on building a hybrid network model that integrates on-premises resources with public cloud services like those available on Microsoft Azure, Progent can help you assess and deploy Windows Server 2016, which is powered by major elements of Azure technology and is designed to support hybrid networks. See Progent's Windows Server 2016 hybrid integration.
Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Technology
For companies of any size throughout the United States, Progent's Microsoft-authorized consultants can provide low-cost remote network help and professional consulting services for the entire array of Microsoft .NET Enterprise Servers. Progent offers Windows Server 2019 migration consulting, Windows Server 2016 hybrid cloud integration, Windows Server 2012 R2 planning assistance, Windows 2008 Server expertise, and Windows 2003 Server technical support. Progent's planning, installation, update, and consulting services include system architecture, deployment, and administration help for
project analysis and documentation, local and off-site
technical help and system diagnosis,
Help Desk Support, comprehensive
security expertise, IT
outsourcing, and ProSight Virtual Hosting service.
Progent also offers a full range of online PC desktop services including Windows 10 planning and migration support, Microsoft Windows 8.1 integration, Microsoft Windows 7 support, preparing for to 64-bit computing, Office desktop and Office 365 collaboration support, and automating desktop configuration.
If your business needs immediate remote help from a Microsoft certified engineer, refer to Progent's Urgent Online Computer Help.
Learn more about Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Servers.
To contact Progent about technical help for Microsoft Windows Server networking, call 1-800-993-9400 or refer to Contact Progent.