Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Microsoft's Windows Server 2003 operating system provides a robust, enterprise-class computing environment that delivers significant improvements over the earlier Microsoft Windows Server 2000. These added features strengthen the foundation of availability, scalability and security introduced in Microsoft Windows 2000, making Microsoft Windows 2003 more efficient, more dependable, and more protected than previous releases of Microsoft Windows server operating system.
The MS Windows Server 2003 product line comprises four versions:
Benefits of Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, is a reliable server platform for the everyday requirements of businesses of any size, offering an effective answer for data and peripheral sharing, protected Internet access, centralized desktop application deployment, and a powerful connected environment for workers, partners, and customers.
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, is the OS of choice for big organizations and for small and mid-size companies to develop, deliver, and secure reliable applications, Web commerce, and infrastructure.
- Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition, is best suited for business-critical applications that demand high levels of expandability and fault tolerance.
- Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, is intended for hosting web pages, while retaining the core features that provide advanced reliability, manageability, and security.
MS Windows Server 2003 offers a wealth of productive features and enhanced functionality over Windows 2000 Server. Improvements include:
How Progent Can Provide Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Help
- Active Directory performance and flexibility is faster and more dependable over marginal wide area network connections because of more efficient synchronization and replication as well as storing of credentials in branch office domain controllers.
- Enhancements to the Distributed File System (DFS) and Encrypting File System enable powerful, versatile file access and storage.
- Advanced Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) providers and command-line tools for server tasks offers IT managers great granular control.
- To make storage and archiving simpler, MS Windows Server 2003 incorporates the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), which provides time-specific copies of networked shares. Clients can easily access previous versions of their work through the Windows Explorer by right-clicking on a name or icon.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 is optimized for supporting XML-based Web services as a result of native compatibility with Microsoft .NET and EXtensible Markup Language with the inclusion of the .NET Framework.
- Important networking enhancements in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 include Internet Protocol version 6, Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet, and Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) over Network Address Translation.
- Common Language Runtime protects systems from malicious or badly written software.
- Credential Management offers a safe store of client credentials, including passwords and X.509 certificates. This provides a common sign-on protocol for users, even roaming users.
- The Encrypting File System is the technology used to store encrypted files on NTFS volumes. Encrypted files and folders are easy to use as they appear just like any other file: transparent to authorized users but inaccessible to anyone else. EFS is especially advantageous for traveling clients who may work under a greater risk of computer loss or theft.
- Enhanced support for VPN environments, such as a remote access server that provides both dial-up and virtual private network connections, providing versatility and protection for remote connectivity.
- 802.1x wireless network support provides security and speed enhancements for wireless LANs. Among these are automatic key management and user authentication/authorization in advance of network access. Prompt recovery virtually does away with packet corruption and interruption over high-latency wireless links.
- Headless server provides the ability to install and manage a computer without a monitor, display adapter, keyboard, or mouse. Compatibility with management controllers and ports allows servers to be managed even if a computer has died.
- Auto-configuration for multiple networks provides the mobile computer user transparent operations on both office and home environments without being required to manually reconfigure TCP/IP configurations.
- Voice over IP enhances Remote Assistance by supporting a voice session at the time the Remote Help Connection is initiated.
The sophistication and configuration requirements of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 calls for an IT consultant with real-world expertise and wide knowledge in planning and building cohesive, end-to-end information network solutions. The knowledge and experience of Progent's Microsoft-Premier consulting team, with an average of more than 10 years of consulting in Microsoft integration, assures you results in identifying the edition and configuration of MS Windows Server 2003 that best matches your company requirements. Progent can assist you with planning, deploying, supporting and maintaining advanced network solutions based on MS Windows Server 2003.
Microsoft has ended support for Windows Server 2003. This makes it advisable to consider migrating to an up-to-date version of Windows Server. If you are considering transitioning to Windows Server 2012 R2, Progent offers cost-effective Windows Server 2012 R2 migration support services to ensure your project completes on schedule and within your budget. If you are considering creating a hybrid network model that combines on-premises resources with public cloud services like those available on Microsoft Azure, Progent can assist you evaluate and integrate Windows Server 2016, which incorporates important components of Microsoft Azure technology and is designed to support hybrid environments. See Progent's Windows Server 2016 hybrid solutions.
Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Technology
For organizations of all sizes in the Bay Area or anywhere in the U.S., Progent's Microsoft-authorized experts offer affordable online computer assistance and professional consulting services for the entire family of Microsoft .NET servers. Progent can provide Windows Server 2019 migration expertise, Windows Server 2016 hybrid cloud solutions, Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 deployment assistance, Microsoft Windows Server 2008 consulting, and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 upgrade help. Progent's planning, installation, update, and support services include network design, configuration, and management help for
project analysis and documentation, local and remote
IT support and network diagnosis,
Help Desk Outsourcing Support, comprehensive
security consulting, full-service
outsourcing, Exchange hosting and management, and ProSight Virtual Hosting service.
Progent in addition offers a wide array of remote PC desktop support including Windows 10 planning support, Microsoft Windows 8.1 configuration and support, Windows 7 support, upgrading to 64-bit computing, Microsoft Office desktop and Office 365 collaboration support, and automating workstation deployment.
If your company requires urgent online support from a Microsoft certified consultant, refer to Progent's Urgent Remote Technical Support.
Learn more about Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Servers.
In order to get in touch with Progent about engineering support for Microsoft Windows Server networking, phone 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.