Windows Server 2003
The Windows Server 2003 platform offers a robust, enterprise-ready networking environment that delivers significant enhancements over its predecessor, Windows 2K Server. These added features strengthen the core of availability, scalability and protection offered by Windows Server 2000, making Microsoft Windows 2003 faster, more dependable, and more secure than previous releases of Windows server operating system.
The Windows Server 2003 family is available in four versions:
Benefits of MS Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, is a dependable server platform for the common requirements of businesses of all sizes, offering an effective solution for file and printer sharing, secure Internet access, centralized PC software management, and a powerful connected environment for employees, associates, and customers.
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, is the OS best suited for large enterprises as well as small and mid-size companies to develop, deploy, and protect reliable applications, Web commerce, and infrastructure.
- Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition, is best suited for business-critical applications that require high levels of expandability and fault tolerance.
- Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, is optimized for hosting web sites, while retaining the core functions that provide enhanced dependability, manageability, and protection.
MS Windows Server 2003 offers a wealth of powerful features and improved functionality over Windows Server 2K. Highlights include:
How Progent Can Deliver Windows Server 2003 Expertise
- Active Directory performance and flexibility is faster and more dependable over unreliable WAN links because of more efficient synchronization and replication plus storing of credentials in remote office domain controllers.
- Enhancements to the Distributed File System (DFS) and Encrypting File System allow for powerful, versatile file sharing and storage.
- Advanced Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) providers and command-line utilities for server jobs offers IT managers great fine-grain control.
- To make storage and archiving simpler, MS Windows Server 2003 includes the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), which provides time-specific copies of networked shares. Users can easily recover older versions of their work through the Windows Explorer by right-clicking on a name or icon.
- MS Windows Server 2003 is ideal for hosting XML-based Web services as a result of native compatibility with Microsoft .NET and EXtensible Markup Language with the incorporation of the .NET Framework.
- Important networking improvements in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 include Internet Protocol version 6, Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPoE), and Internet Protocol Security over Network Address Translation.
- Common Language Runtime (CLR) safeguards networks from ill-intended or poorly designed software.
- Credential Management offers a safe store of client credentials, including passwords and public key infrastructure certificates. This allows a single sign-on protocol for users, including roaming users.
- EFS is the technology used to store encrypted files on NTFS volumes. Encrypted files and folders are easy to use because they appear exactly like any other file or folder: transparent to authorized users but inaccessible to anyone else. The Encrypting File System (EFS) is particularly beneficial for mobile clients who usually face a greater danger of PC theft.
- Enhanced compatibility with virtual private network environments, including a remote access server that supports both dial-up and VPN links, offering versatility and protection for remote connectivity.
- 802.1x wireless network support provides protection and performance enhancements for wireless local area networks. Among these are automatic key management and user authentication prior to network access. Prompt recovery virtually eliminates packet corruption and interruption over slow wireless network connections.
- Headless server provides the ability to install and administer a computer without a monitor, VGA adaptor, keyboard, or mouse. Compatibility with management controllers and ports allows servers to be controlled even if a computer has died.
- Auto-configuration for a variety of networks offers the mobile PC client seamless operations on both office and remote environments without having to manually redo TCP/IP configurations.
- Voice over IP improves Remote Assistance by supporting a voice session when the Remote Help Connection is initiated.
The sophistication and configuration demands of MS Windows Server 2003 calls for an IT expert with hands-on expertise and wide knowledge in planning and building viable, comprehensive information network solutions. The knowledge and experience of Progent's Microsoft-Premier consulting team, with an average of over 10 years of background in Microsoft integration, assures you success in selecting the edition and setup of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 that best aligns with your company goals. Progent can help you with designing, integrating, supporting and maintaining sophisticated IT solutions powered by MS Windows Server 2003.
Microsoft has ended support for Windows Server 2003. This makes it advisable to consider migrating to a current release of Windows Server. If you are interested in moving up to Windows Server 2012 R2, Progent offers cost-effective Windows Server 2012 R2 migration consulting services to ensure your project finishes on time and within budget. If you are considering building a hybrid architecture that combines on-premises systems with cloud-based services like those available on Microsoft Azure, Progent can help you evaluate and integrate Windows Server 2016, which is powered by major elements of Azure technology and is intended to support hybrid environments. See Progent's Windows Server 2016 hybrid solutions.
Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Technology
For businesses of all sizes throughout the U.S., Progent's Microsoft-certified experts can provide low-cost remote network help and professional consulting support for the whole family of Microsoft .NET Enterprise Servers. Progent offers Windows Server 2019 migration consulting, Windows Server 2016 hybrid cloud integration, Windows Server 2012 R2 planning help, Windows 2008 Server expertise, and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 technical support. Progent's planning, integration, optimization, and support capabilities cover system architecture, deployment, and management help for
project management and documentation, on-site and off-site
IT support and network repair,
Help Desk Outsourcing Services, comprehensive
security expertise, turn-key
outsourcing, and ProSight Virtual Hosting.
Progent also can deliver a full range of online PC desktop support including Windows 10 planning assistance, Windows 8.1 consulting support, Windows 7 maintenance, moving to 64-bit computing, Office and Office 365 collaboration support, and automating PC desktop image creation.
If your company requires urgent online support from a Microsoft certified network expert, go to Progent's Urgent Online Computer Help.
Learn more about Progent's Consulting Services for Microsoft Servers.
In order to contact Progent about technical assistance for Windows Server networking, phone 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.