Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda’s variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware’s VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Additional Fault Tolerant Technologies Supported by Progent's Experts
Progent's certified consultants can assist your company to build a sensible, high-availability network that addresses key challenges encompassing a broad range of networking solutions and operations such as:
Business Continuity Planning
Progent's business continuity planning professionals can show you how to design a disaster recovery plan in order to restore network functionality in case of an information network disaster. Progent can help you to develop a comprehensive disaster recovery strategy that incorporates scheduled disaster recovery evaluations and drills. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-certified engineers can also help you build an affordable, zero-downtime network solution that addresses availability issues covering a broad range of network technologies and processes. For details, see Business Continuity Consulting and Support Services.
Fully Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services from Progent provide small and mid-sized organizations an affordable end-to-end service for reliable backup/disaster recovery. Available at a low monthly rate, ProSight DPS automates your backup processes and enables rapid recovery of vital files, applications and VMs that have become unavailable or corrupted due to hardware breakdowns, software bugs, natural disasters, human mistakes, or malware attacks like ransomware. ProSight Data Protection Services can help you back up, retrieve and restore files, folders, applications, system images/, as well as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware images/. Critical data can be backed up on the cloud, to an on-promises device, or to both. Progent's backup and recovery specialists can provide world-class support to configure ProSight DPS to to comply with regulatory requirements like HIPPA, FIRPA, PCI and Safe Harbor and, when needed, can help you to recover your business-critical information. Read more about ProSight Data Protection Services Managed Backup.
Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery consultants can assist you to design a DR system built around Microsoft's latest Failover Clustering technologies such as Cluster Operating System Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for crash-consistent recovery, Storage Spaces Direct for enterprise-class network-attached storage using commodity hardware, VM Load Balancing for enhancing the speed and resilience of Failover Clusters while minimizing capital investment and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for easy, economical creation of a stretch cluster quorum arbitration point. For details, visit Microsoft Server 2016 Disaster Recovery Expertise.
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 introduced enterprise-class fault tolerance and system recovery to Microsoft's failover clustering solution. Windows Server 2012 R2 adds to this foundation and provides important new and enhanced features that offer increased scalability, better disk storage uptime for server applications, easier management, quicker failover, and additional flexibility for designing failover clusters. For more information, see Windows Server 2012 R2 Failover Clustering Integration.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager (SRM) is a component of VMware vCenter that lets you orchestrate, automate and verify a consistent process for recovering applications and services rapidly following a breakdown. Site Recovery Manager supports centrally controlled and automated recovery, application mobility, and transparent site relocation, failback and site re-protect. Site Recovery Manager also supports non-disruptive testing for site recovery, upgrades and fixes and can generate reports to confirm full service recovery, validate SLAs and demonstrate compliance. Progent can provide the skills of a VCDX certified VMware SRM consulting expert to assist your organization to design, configure, test and administer a DR system based on VMware Site Recovery Manager.
NetApp MetroCluster Disaster Recovery Software
NetApp MetroCluster is a disaster recovery platform that uses array-based storage clustering with continual replication to deliver rapid, zero RPO disaster recovery (DR) between sites that are as far as 300km away from one another. Progent offers online or on-premises access to a certified NetApp MetroCluster consultant who can help you to plan, deploy, manage, update, test and repair a disaster recovery system based on NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can help you to select a topology for your MetroCluster environment that aligns with your technical requirements and budget. Progent can make sure you adhere to leading practices for installing your MetroCluster solution by providing help with tasks such as assigning disk pools and shelf IDs, arranging plexes layout, setting up FlexVol volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, installing switches, implementing a tiebreaker mechanism, setting up a TCP/IP configuration replication network between your storage clusters, and testing your MetroCluster disaster recovery solution to prove adherence with information assurance standards and government mandates.
High Availability Load Balancing
Progent offers high availability load balancing support covering network load balancing, load balanced programs, LAN/WAN backbone routing, and content dispatching products such as F5 Networks 3DNS. High availability load balancing technologies for which Progent offers consulting expertise include Windows 2003 and 2008 Server Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Access Suite and Presentation Server, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Content Engine and LocalDirector 400 series, and F5 Networks BIG-IP. For more information, visit Fault Tolerant Load Balancing.
Zero Downtime Data Centers
Progent's Data Center engineers can help you find high availability data centers that match the particular requirements of your business. High availability Internet Data Centers are especially appealing to small and mid-size businesses due to of their low cost and simplified logistics compared to pursuing a do-it-yourself approach. Trying to create an on-site data center with even a basic degree of fault tolerance is too expensive for most small companies. Progent is ready to show you how to get all the benefits of high-availability colo centers by providing a full array of consulting and maintenance services. To learn more, see High-Availability Internet Data Centers Solutions.
Fault Tolerant Interoffice Connectivity
Progent’s interoffice connection engineers can help organizations achieve non-stop multi-site connectivity through redundant networks featuring transparent failover. Progent’s Cisco-certified CCIE network engineers can design and deploy fault-tolerant Inter-office connections supported by fault tolerant EIGRP routers or zero-downtime OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how multi-path connectivity and transparent fail-over can provide economical non-stop interoffice networking. To read more, visit Non-stop Inter-office Networking.
High Availability Internet Connections
Progent's Cisco-authorized IT professionals can show you how to design an economical, high availability Internet configuration solution that can achieve 24x7 Internet connectivity via a wide array of fault tolerant Internet network solutions including non-stop BGP, automatic fail-over, and redundant ISPs. Progent offers Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert engineers to show you how to utilize the most up-to-date technology for 24x7 Internet access to build an affordable, completely redundant Internet interface with automatic failover and other capabilities to deliver non-stop Internet access. For more information, go to Fault Tolerant Internet Connectivity Architecture.
Backup and Recovery Solutions Consulting and Support Services
Progent can provide affordable remote support from IT engineers skilled in a wide range of utilities and technologies that deliver solutions for protecting Windows, Mac, and Linux/UNIX physical and virtual servers and desktops plus notebooks and smartphones. Progent offers help for leading data protection platforms including Acronis Backup and Recovery, Symantec Backup Exec, BackupAssist, HP Data Protector, Double-Take Software, MozyPro, Retrospect, Time Machine, VMware Data Recovery (VDR), and FLARs. Progent can assist your company to deploy, enhance, or maintain backup/restore solutions for a range of topologies such as on-premises, remote, cloud-based, or a mix. To learn more, see Backup and Recovery Solutions Expertise.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) Backup and Restore Consulting
Progent's certified Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager consultants can help you to create an effective workplace recovery plan, implement an affordable high-availability network infrastructure, configure a Microsoft SCDPM-powered backup and restore solution, comprehensively test your DPM system, educate your administrative staff or local service providers how to maintain System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide extensive information technology support outsourcing such as remote housing of Microsoft SCDPM machines in Progent's world-class data center facility. For more information, go to System Center Data Protection Manager Consulting Services.
Altaro VM Backup Solutions for Data Protection and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software provides small and mid-size organizations a reliable and budget-friendly platform for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-powered VMs. Altaro VM Backup can be used for on-premises, remote, distributed, and cloud-hosted architectures and also enables cost-effective cloud backup to Microsoft Azure storage. Top capabilities include state-of-the-art Augmented Inline Deduplication to reduce backup storage requirements, Continuous Data Protection with backup spacing as low as five minutes for reducing your exposure to data loss, military-grade encryption, granular recovery options for individual files and emails, support for Windows Server Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) and for vCenter for managing larger environments, and the ability to leverage Microsoft VSS technology to back up online virtual machines with zero downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and offers a wide array of services to help you to plan, install, optimize and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery system based on Altaro VM Backup software. To find out more, visit Altaro VM Backup Consulting Services.
Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Backup
Double-Take Software publishes a selection of tools designed to deliver small companies a variety of cost-effective solutions for backing up and restoring business-critical workloads such as Microsoft Exchange, SQL, RIM Blackberry, and SharePoint. Progent’s disaster recovery planning experts have extensive experience incorporating Double-Take technology into small business information systems to achieve an advanced level of fault tolerance and business continuity readiness at a budget-friendly price. To find out more, visit Consulting for Double-Take Software for Backup.
CRISC-certified Network Risk Mitigation
The CRISC program was established by ISACA to validate an IT professional's skills to plan, implement, and maintain IS control mechanisms to mitigate risk. Progent offers the expertise of a CRISC-certified engineer to help you to create and execute a business continuity plan based on leading practices promoted by CRISC and geared to match your company's risk tolerance, business objectives, and budgetary guidelines. For more information, visit CRISC-certified network risk mitigation experts.
Why Pick Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Partner and provides high-level application support for a wide variety of business applications, Progent is able to assist clients to arrive at efficient information technology solutions that optimize the productivity of your network. As a Registered Partner for Cisco, Progent offers the expertise of qualified engineers and specialists with expertise in designing, implementing and maintaining networking solutions built on Cisco products. The breadth of Progent's technical experience and Progent's sensitivity to the requirements of small businesses make Progent the perfect partner for creating and maintaining a cost-effective, high-availability information system.
How You Can Access Progent's Experts for Disaster Recovery Solutions Help
In order to contact Progent about technical expertise for disaster recovery planning, phone 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.