Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracudaís variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMwareís VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Additional High Availability Technologies Provided by Progent
Progent's Microsoft and Cisco consulting experts can help you to create a sensible, fault-tolerant environment that resolves major challenges encompassing a broad range of networking solutions and processes including:
Disaster Recovery Planning
Progent's business continuity planning consultants can show you how to design a disaster recovery plan in order to restore IT operations in the event of an IT network disaster. Progent can help you to define a complete disaster recovery strategy that includes periodic disaster recovery assessments and testing. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-authorized professionals can also show you how to build an affordable, non-stop network solution that addresses reliability issues covering a broad range of infrastructure technologies and procedures. To find out more, go to Disaster Recovery Consulting Services.
Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services from Progent provide small and medium-sized businesses a low cost and fully managed service for secure backup/disaster recovery. For a low monthly rate, ProSight DPS automates and monitors your backup activities and allows rapid restoration of vital data, apps and virtual machines that have become unavailable or damaged due to hardware failures, software bugs, disasters, human error, or malware attacks like ransomware. ProSight DPS can help you back up, recover and restore files, folders, apps, system images/, as well as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware images/. Critical data can be backed up on the cloud, to a local device, or mirrored to both. Progent's BDR consultants can deliver world-class support to configure ProSight Data Protection Services to be compliant with government and industry regulatory requirements like HIPPA, FIRPA, PCI and Safe Harbor and, when needed, can assist you to recover your critical data. Learn more about ProSight DPS Managed Cloud Backup.
Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery experts can assist your organization to design a disaster recovery solution based on Microsoft's latest Failover Clustering technologies such as Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade for non-disruptive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for zero-data-loss Recovery Point Objective (RPO), Storage Spaces Direct for high-performance network-attached storage using industry-standard hardware, VM Load Balancing for enhancing the performance and resilience of Failover Clusters while minimizing capital investment and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for easy, economical deployment of a stretch cluster quorum arbitration point. To learn more, see Microsoft Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Help.
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Failover Clusters
Windows Server 2008 R2 brought enterprise-class fault tolerance and system recovery to Microsoft's clustering platform. Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 adds to this technology and provides significant new and enhanced features that offer increased scalability, non-stop storage availability for server applications, streamlined administration, faster failover, and additional flexibility for architecting failover clusters. To learn more, see Windows Server 2012 R2 Failover Clustering Integration.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager (SRM) is an extension to VMware vCenter that lets you orchestrate, automate and test a consistent workflow for recovering services rapidly after a breakdown. Site Recovery Manager supports centrally controlled and automated recovery, application mobility, plus non-intrusive site migration, failback and site re-protect. SRM also supports non-intrusive testing for disaster recovery, upgrades and fixes and can generate reports to verify full service recovery, validate Service Level Agreements and demonstrate DR compliance. Progent offers the skills of a VCDX certified VMware Site Recovery Manager consultant to assist you to design, deploy, test and manage a disaster recovery system based on VMware SRM.
NetApp MetroCluster Disaster Recovery Technology
NetApp MetroCluster is a high-availability and disaster recovery platform that uses array-based storage clustering with synchronous replication to provide fast, zero data loss disaster recovery between sites that are up to 185 miles away from one another. Progent offers online or on-premises access to a NetApp MetroCluster expert who can help you to plan, deploy, manage, update, test and repair a disaster recovery solution based on NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to select an architecture for your MetroCluster environment that meets your technical needs and IT budget. Progent can ensure you adhere to leading practices for configuring your MetroCluster environment by providing help with tasks such as assigning disk pools and shelf IDs, determining aggregate and plexes layout, setting up FlexVol volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, installing switches, designing a tiebreaker, designing a configuration replication network between your peered clusters, and verifying your disaster recovery system to prove compliance with information assurance standards and regulatory requirements.
Network Load Balancing
Progent provides high availability load balancing consulting covering network load balancing, load balanced applications, network infrastructure routing, and content delivery products including Cisco Content Engine. Fault tolerant load balancing technologies for which Progent offers consulting services include Windows 2003 and 2008 Server Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Access Suite and Presentation Server, Cisco CSS, Cisco Content Engine and LocalDirector 400 series, and F5 Networks BIG-IP. To find out more, visit Non-stop Load Balancing.
Zero Downtime Colocation
Progent's Data Center consultants can show you how to identify fault-tolerant data centers that match the particular needs of your company. High availability colocation sites are particularly appealing to small and mid-size organizations because of their low cost and convenience compared to taking a do-it-yourself approach. Attempting to create an in-house data center that offers even a minimum degree of fault tolerance is too expensive for the majority of small companies. Progent can show you how to reap all the advantages of high-availability Internet data centers by offering a complete array of consulting and maintenance services. To read more, see High-Availability Internet Data Centers Consulting.
24x7 Interoffice Networking
Progentís interoffice connectivity professionals can help companies create zero-downtime inter-site connectivity solutions via redundant networks featuring automatic failover. Progentís Cisco-certified CCIE engineers can plan and implement fault-tolerant Inter-office networks based on fault tolerant EIGRP network routers or zero-downtime OSPF deployment of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how redundant connectivity and automatic fail-over can provide affordable 24x7 interoffice connectivity. To learn more, go to High-Availability Inter-office Connectivity.
Fault Tolerant Internet Access
Progent's Cisco-certified network professionals can help you create an affordable, high availability Internet configuration architecture that can achieve non-stop Internet connectivity through a wide array of high availability Internet access solutions including non-stop BGP, transparent fail-over, and redundant Internet Service Providers. Progent can provide Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert engineers to show you how to apply the latest technology for high availability Internet connectivity to create an economical, completely redundant Internet interface with automatic failover and other capabilities to create fault tolerant Internet availability. For details, see High Availability Internet Access Solutions.
Backup and Recovery Technology Consulting Experts
Progent can provide economical online support from IT engineers skilled in a wide array of utilities and technologies that provide solutions for backing up Windows, Apple Mac, and Linux/UNIX physical and virtual servers and desktops plus laptops and handhelds. Progent offers consulting support for all major backup platforms including Acronis, Backup Exec, BackupAssist, HP Data Protector, Double-Take Backup, Mozy, Retrospect for Macintosh, Apple Time Machine, vSphere Data Protection, and FLARs. Progent can help your company to design, upgrade, or troubleshoot data backup systems for a variety of environments such as local, edge to datacenter, cloud-based, or a mix. To read more, go to Backup and Recovery Technology Consulting Services.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Backup and Recovery Consulting Experts
Progent's expert Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager consultants can assist you to develop a practical disaster recovery plan, design an affordable high-availability IT infrastructure, install a Microsoft SCDPM-based backup and recovery system, comprehensively test your DPM system, train your administrative personnel or local service providers how to manage SCDPM, or provide complete IT outsourcing services including off-site hosting of Microsoft SCDPM servers in Progent's secure data center facility. To find out more, visit System Center Data Protection Manager Consulting.
Altaro VM Backup Software for Data Protection and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software provides small and mid-size organizations a reliable and affordable solution for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-powered virtual machines. Altaro VM Backup can be used for local, offsite, distributed, and cloud-hosted architectures and also enables cost-effective backup to Azure Block Blob storage. Headline capabilities include state-of-the-art inline deduplication to reduce backup storage needs, Continuous Data Protection (CDP) with backup spacing as short as five minutes for reducing your Recovery Point Objective (RPO), military-grade encryption, item-level recovery options for individual files and emails, support for Windows Cluster Shared Volumes and for VMware vCenter for handling larger deployments, and support for Microsoft VSS technology to back up online virtual machines without downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and can provide a broad array of services to assist you to plan, deploy, optimize and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery system based on Altaro VM Backup software. To read more, go to Altaro VM Backup Certified Consultants.
Consulting for Double-Take Software for Backup
Double-Take publishes a family of products designed to deliver small businesses a variety of affordable solutions for replicating and restoring vital workloads such as Microsoft Exchange Server, SQL Server, Blackberry, and Microsoft Office SharePoint. Progentís business continuity planning experts have extensive backgrounds incorporating Double-Take Software technology into small company information systems to create an advanced state of availability and business continuity readiness at an affordable cost. For more information, go to Consulting for Double-Take Software for Backup.
CRISC-certified IT Risk Management
The CRISC certification program was established by ISACA in 2010 to verify an IT professional's ability to design, deploy, and maintain information system controls to mitigate network risk. Progent can provide the services of a CRISC-certified consultant to assist your company to develop and execute a business continuity or disaster recovery plan that follows industry best practices identified by CRISC and crafted to align with your company's risk appetite, business objectives, and budgetary guidelines. For details, visit CRISC-certified network risk management experts.
Why Pick Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Certified Partner and offers high-level application support for a wide variety of small business software programs, Progent can help clients to arrive at complete information technology solutions that optimize the productivity of your information system. As a Registered Partner with Cisco, Progent can provide the services of qualified engineers and specialists with expertise in architecting, configuring and supporting infrastructure solutions built on Cisco products. The depth of Progent's technical experience and Progent's sensitivity to the requirements of small companies make Progent the ideal resource for building and maintaining an affordable, high-availability information system.
How to Access Progent's Consultants for Disaster Recovery Planning Help
To contact Progent about professional help for disaster recovery planning, phone 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.